faulty house cut out fuse carrier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
new here so please be gentle with me :)
After a little advice

Over the past few months now i have noticed the main fuse carrier getting rather hot i have had a friend come and check my CU and all seems ok all be it a very old consumer unit it all seems fine with no faults and no wiring faults in the home
As the fuse carrier has no security seal intact
(it never did when we moved in) over 13 years ago.
he powered down all the electrics switched all fuses off and the main fuse in the CU unit
Removed the main fuse to a quick visual check
The fuse carrier seems damaged loose and the blades are pitted looks like the metal is oxidized ??
And the connection where the main supply comes in the first terminal that connects to the main fuse that's all pitted and looks oxidized
You can see where the fuse blade is not making a good connection
Now obviously there will be no messing with this part of the unit removal of the fuse with everything powered down and switched off a visual check of the fuse holder and refitting of fuse is all and the only thing there that has been done (AND WOULD BE DONE)

What i wanted to ask is ?
as the consumer unit is ok and there are no issues with the wiring or any other faults etc
What might have caused this ?
and how do i go about getting the electric company subcontractor etc to fix this
as it seems the only option is the fitting of a new fuse carrier unit which obviously can only be done by the correct and qualified person

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
If it is the main fuse for the house (you mention the lack of seals) then get on the phone to your DNO and explain that the main fuse is getting very hot and the surround is badly damaged. They should come out fairly quickly to sort it out. It has the potential to become (or already is) a fire hazard. Maybe mention a little crackling coming from the main fuse too when you ring them up. ;)

As for what caused it - no idea! But maybe in the past it has been hit with something hard causing damage.

However, I am a little confused by your friend though who had the ability/equipment to check your fuseboard/house for wiring faults but not the common sense or knowledge to leave a badly damaged main fuse well alone and advise you to call the DNO asap. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back