Building a detatched garage close to boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning to build a garage in our back garden. Ideally we would like to build right up to the boundary to maximise space. I've had a bit of a read around but still not sure of the best way to proceed. Can we put footings over the boundary to allow us to build the wall right on the boundary? Will we need a party wall agreement? Are we better of just losing 6 inches of garden? The house next door is empty and has just been sold, although no contracts exchanged which complicates things a bit.

EDIT: Also, is there any pros/cons of raft or strip foundations in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Well your gutters can't overhang onto their side, so your wall will be 6" back already, unless you are going for a flat roof with no overhang? ?

Raft for dodgy ground, otherwise strip.

If I can get planning we will go for pitched with inboard gutters, if not it'll flat roof under pd height maximum.

Avoiding party wall stuff is advisable.. especially if you dont know your neighbours..

With a gap at the least you can maintain your own garage side..

Raft is for weak "dodgy" ground so basically soft ground which is prone to movement so the raft moves as one and bridges over soft spots..
Strip is good for more solid underlying ground.. its the cheap option

Sponsored Links
To find out if you (technically) need a Party wall Agreement this guide has all the info http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/133214.pdf Arguably it may be overkill for a garage, depends on the particular situation. Many would also argue that the Party Wall Act is flawed however, potentially though it can save a lot of grief. Really depends on a few factors though as mentioned.

Building up to the boundary is fine.

As soon as any part of your building, whether it be foundations, gutter or soffit overhang, then you are trespassing and may be asked to remove any part of the building that is overhanging their property.

The party wall act (from what i can gather) seeks to define a process which allows both parties to be clear on the laws regarding access to one another's' property when proposing to build upon or close to a boundary.

It does not give you the right to enter another's property or trespass upon it unless agreed under the pwa.

How big is the garage going to be?
Have you checked out the direct.gov website for permitted developments?

30m2
I have looked at the PD rules. Couldn't see anything about building on boundaries, though.

Providing you stick to the permitted heights and use non combustible materials, you should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back