Renewing Garage Supply From House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All! Been a lurker for a long time with zip all to contribute but finally need some help. I've done a fair amount of reading and searching on here, Google and IEE.

I have a detached garage - less than a meter from the house. Although technically detached, it is joined to the house via a permanent awning/sloping fascia thingy (struggling for the correct term) - see pic:
R0049975.JPG

The existing supply is from the CU out external wall, along wall, along "fascia thingy" and into garage. It looks to me like copper tube and fairly ancient and weedy (on 5A fuse in equally ancient Wylex metal CU) - again see pic(s):
R0049973.JPG

R0049974.JPG

I would have thought that replacing this (obviously, with something up to date) come under "like for like" but is it, or is it notifiable?

My immediate thought was to replace it with SWA but upon further thought SWA isn't exactly bendy stuff, so getting it to follow the same path (especially coming out of house wall and doing a 90 degree bend) might not be so neat. If SWA is the only recommended solution then would following the same path and attaching it to the external walls and overhang bit using cleats be acceptable under reg 412-05-01 (for which I can find absolutely no info)?

Would twin and earth in galvanized conduit running the same path be acceptable? This would probably be a neater solution. Total cable run from house CU to garage dist would be 10m. Naff all running in garage except a freezer and a two lights, and no water or any big metal stuff.

Appreciate any help!

Sponsored Links
If it is MICC it will hold your house up in an earthquake! Leave it where it is if I were you unless you plan on increasing the demand in the garage significantly?

Wow - really?! I wouldn't have thought that anything put there by "Skimpy Wimpey" in the 60s was quality :LOL:

No, not planning on increasing load in garage at all. It just looks really weedy and a bit sorry so I though that it could do with changing. It doesn't go through any insulation at all (except perpendicularly through the cavity wall insulation). It's terminated inside the (metal clad Wylex) CU with some sort of gland so I'm assuming that when the CU gets changed it should be quite a pain to earth properly.

Just ges to show - "you never know unless you ask!".

Sponsored Links
If you want to read about your MICC. :LOL:

Thanks for links.

Luv this quote: "MI cable is also highly resistant to ionising radiation and so finds applications in instrumentation for nuclear reactors and nuclear physics apparatus.". That'll be handy for the hobby miniature nuclear reactor I'm building in the garage then - will keep the lights on even after a meltdown! ;)

Good grief - talk about specialized tools! I get severely depressed these days whenever I see or hear the need for special tools - comes after many years of doing various PITA jobs on my own (previous) cars. Usually buy and use once and then give away or flog on the cheap.

On the other hand, at least I know what I got in my CU. The terminated end looks exactly like that except no earth as the gland is fastened directly onto the metal case of the CU. If I get the CU replaced with a plastic one then I assume that the MICC would need to be reterminated to provide an earth (if length allows) or perhaps use the tag from, say, an SWA gland?

If I get the CU replaced with a plastic one then I assume that the MICC would need to be reterminated to provide an earth (if length allows) or perhaps use the tag from, say, an SWA gland?
Look on the bright side - at least the requirement to do Pyro work will help you sort the real electrician wheat from the 5DW DI chaff.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back