Spur to double socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i live in a new build house and in my living room have a switched and fused spur supplied for an electric fireplace/plasma tv.

What i want to do is relocate the spur, by extending it, and change it for a double socket so i can plug in the tv and a surround sound system.

Is it a simple case of using a connecter box to extend the cables to the desired new location?

any help would be greatly appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
sorry i meant that its intended use is for an electric fireplace or plasma tv but currently it is unused.

You can extend it, if you can extend the whole cable from the original outlet it is spurred, a joint connection can be made in the back box of the S/FCU and blanking plate fitted.
You can not just remove the S/FCU and back box, join the cable and bury it in the wall.

Ahh yes I see now. You can buy a two or three gang socket that attaches to single box fixtures. They aren't quite flush but sit tight enough to the wall. This is an option.

Not sure what you mean by "extending it" though. Move it or make it so you can use more appliances?

Basically i want to extend it and change it to a double socket.
The reason for this is i want to stud out the wall that the spur is on to create a faux chimney breast, wall mount the tv conceal all my tv & surround sound cables in the void, and create two sets of shelving either side of the studwork.
the current spur would then need relocating so it is still accessible and changing to a double socket to accomodate the power leads from the tv and surround sound.

I would find out whether it was ring final or a radial circuit first.
I would also consider the possibility of extending the circuit rather than adding a spur if that was possible.
If that could not be done I would then add a spur, I may also consider making it a fused spur, so I could have extra sockets if needed.

Leave the FCU where it is, but mount it on your new studwork. Then from the LOAD terminals on it, connect your new sockets - that way you can have as many sockets as you like, and can conveniently turn all your TV stuff of with one switch.

Leave the FCU where it is, but mount it on your new studwork. Then from the LOAD terminals on it, connect your new sockets - that way you can have as many sockets as you like, and can conveniently turn all your TV stuff of with one switch.

Agreed, by far the best solution. Make sure the fuse in the FCU is 13A though!

The cables won't reach surely? If not the connections won't be accessible because they will be hidden behind the stud wall.

REG-526.3

"Every connection must be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance..."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back