Wiring 2 lights from 2 switches, one of which controls both

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after some help, or a point in the right direction.

I've been replacing the old light switches around the house for some newer ones.

In one of the rooms, I have a single light switch and a double light switch.

Both switches control the bulb in the room and the other switch on the double controls an outside light.

When I changed over the single switch, everything worked OK. However, when I changed the double one, the double one works both bulbs, but the single one no longer turns on the bulb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tell us what colour wires (and from which cables) you have at both switches.
Tell us which terminals they currently connect to.

In the single switch, I have Red, Yellow and Blue wires from one cable.

In the double switch, I have 2 cables with red and black (the black wires are wired to plastic endings) and a cable with red, yellow and blue wires.

The double switch is currently wired as follows

Cable 1 (R/Bk) - Red to Com 1, Black to plastic
Cable 2 (R/Bk) - Red to 2-way 1, Black to plastic
Cable 3 (R/Y/Be) - Red to Com 2, Yellow to 1-way 1, Blue to 2-way 2

The single switch - I've tried various combinations and none work.

Hope this helps

You need to have the red, yellow and blue wires in the same terminals, at both switches.

However, it is important to have the right colour wire in the common terminal.

Which switch is most likely to be correct? Either of the three colours (R, Y, B) could have been used as the common.

You could try trial and error, or tell us what wires are at the light fitting, or we could tell you how to find it using a test meter.

Regarding the outside light switch, if you experience the switch works upside down, remove the wire from L2 and put it in L1.

Sponsored Links
I would say red is the most frequent choice for common,
followed by yellow,
finally blue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back