Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed a radiator last week and since then my central heating does not work.

I asked advice in B&Q and the guy said it was OK to just remove the radiator then cap the pipes as the pipes were off shoots of the main circuit. I'm now guessing that that is not the case. Do you think I've broken the circuit. Will I need to join the two pipes with a length of copper?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In a two pipe system, each radiator is fed from the flow pipe and the outlet goes to the return pipe, so closing the valves on each side of a radiator and then removing it allows you to continue using the system.
This means you do not need to fit copper tube in place of the radiator, although I have fitted clear plastic tube firmly secured in order to see the water flow and observe if any air passes.
Removing the radiator won't stop your system from working, maybe you have drained the system and when it is refilled a air pocket has been created which you need to remove
Can I suggest you read similar topics where I have had an input over the last month.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks, if removing the radiator hasn't caused the problem any ideas what it could be? I lost quite a bit of water when removing it.

as you said
mmcmahon said:
Thanks, if removing the radiator hasn't caused the problem any ideas what it could be? I lost quite a bit of water when removing it.
the water you lost has been replaced with air, you should bleed your radiators, and make sure the sytem is filling with water, as MANDATE says see other posts by him

Sponsored Links
I've bled all the radiators but still no joy.

I can get the boiler to ignite but after a few minutes it goes out. Could it be coincidental that this happened at the same time I removed a radiator or will they be linked? Is there any way removing the radiator could cause this problem?

Thanks

If the valves were closed when you removed the radiator you would not lose any water except that in the radiator which would be replaced when you opened the valves again.
Removing the radiator has nothing to do with your boiler not staying alight
Does not the sames thing happen when you only have hot water on and the radiators off
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Have you got a combi boiler? (No cylinder) if so you will need to repressurise the system via the filling loop to the req spec - usually around 1 - 1.5 bar.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm making a bit of progress, I bled the pump and the heating came on for a while before going off again so I bled the pump again. Looks like it will eventually work if I keep doing this. :D

you may find a short piece of vertical pipe with a screw cap on your pipe work some where, open this up to let the air out. If nothing (air nor water) comes out make sure the rubber seal is not stuck over the hole sometimes a very gentle nudge down the pipe with a nail will clear any blockage.
In the past I have also spent several hours trying to bleed a system only to find the ball valve was knackered in the tank in the loft letting in air as quickly as I was bleeding it out.(only once though!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back