Bond/Earth Exterior Galvanized Conduit Carrying Cat5 Only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, lots of questions regarding steel conduit inside the house carrying mains for the likes of showers etc. but do I require bonding (and if so, what sort - direct continuous to MET or cross bond to heating sufficient?) if:

conduit is steel and runs on the outside of the building running from loft to upper and ground floors carrying cat5 only?

I want to use galvanized for durability and longevity. If bonding is required and needs to be continuous to MET then I guess I'd settle for PVC conduit.

Sponsored Links
Steel conduit doesn't need bonding, ever. (unless you've buried it in the ground I suppose). Steel conduit conduit carrying mains voltages should be earthed (not bonded), and it's sufficient to simply connect it to the CPC of the circuit it carries (this normally happens by virtue of the conduit being terminated in to the backbox etc)

With only cat5 in there there's no need to do anything. :cool:

Sponsored Links
galv is not for use outdoors.. unless you're good with a spray can or really carefull when you cut and bend it..
the smallest scratch and it'll be rusty in a few months..

that's going to be one ugly house with conduit drops all over the outside of it..

OOI, why are you running Cat5 cable in steel conduit?

Need to get some cat5 from side of the house to the other. Downstairs is concrete floor and there's no possibility of taking up all necessary floorboards upstairs. Therefore, am going via loft and straight drop down. House is detached and planned conduit drop is an easterly wall, on a side of house that's not looked at very frequently by anyone except maybe the pigeons (already has satellite dish on that side).

I'm pretty good with maintaining surface finishes when working (can tell ya all a fair bit about car underbody protection) so the zinc plate of the galv wont be damaged during fitting. Will be using joints and junctions rather pipe bending. I've seen galv conduit used outside all over the place - otherwise, what's the point in having galv in the first place?

I'd happily use an alternative if it anyone thinks it'd be more suitable and be equally as durable. Any suggestions?

the zinc plate of the galv wont be damaged during fitting.
Not even by the vice you use to hold it when you cut threads on it?

I'd happily use an alternative if it anyone thinks it'd be more suitable and be equally as durable. Any suggestions?
Conceal it in the walls inside.

i.e. up a concealed run to the loft, across the loft, down a concealed run to the jack sockets.

Once done, go over it with Hammerite (or similar).

I think I'd be inclined to use PVC conduit and cement all the joints (with the proper stuff).

At the lowest point leave a small drain hole for condensation at least.

Good tip on the drain hole. I'll put a little mesh to prevent any creepy crawlies ingress.

IMHO (and it's just a personal opinion from experience - i.e. don't want to offend anyone), Hammerite is rubbish. I'd rather leave it as is. If going for surface treatment for longevity then I'd use Electrox (from Bilt Hamber) on the metal and then automotive paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back