Where are the electrics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a bungalow built in 1984.
I was wondering if the electrics are likely to be in the attic or under the floorboards.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Surely you can see from the loft and the fuse board ?

As you'd expect the cabling for the lights will be via the roof void, as for sockets, boiler, cooker and other circuits placed on walls it could be up and then drops or down and buried in wall, floor screed, conduit.

The give away would be how cables route away from the board.

Thanks for the quick reply. The loft is covered with insulation and is partially covered with floorboards. I just wondered if there was a convention that was always followed. I will go investigate today in the loft :)

if it has a concrete floor then i'd expect fuse board high up and all wires going into loft space then down walls where needed

Sponsored Links
Turn the power off at the main switch

Remove the securing screws from a few sockets and light switches.

(Do not remove any wires)

Look in the back box and you will be able to see if the cables enter the box from the top, or from the bottom.

Then you'll have your answer.

Simples!

PS Take care that wires do not get trapped when replacing the screws.

Thanks to those who answered, turns out they are up in the attic, which is what I was hoping for :)

With luck the drops are all in conduit or wall voids and will be easy replacement work if required :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back