Fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking for some guidance on installing a fused spur for underfloor heating. The heating mat is 10msq x 200watts so 2000watts total. I have been advised this can be installed off a 13amp fused spur which is fine as I have a double socket and single socket located directly through the wall from the installation (house has concrete floor so it difficult for running cable). My question is can I also spur off the double/single cocket to install sockets in the room of with underfloor heating.
Sockets are to 32amp breakers on the consumer unit.
thanks .

Sponsored Links
You need to test and check to see if the double and single outlet are in fact a ring.

Isolate the power (check for dead).
Remove either socket.
Look for continuity between L - L, N -N, E - E.
This will tell you if you have a ring.

You can supply one single or double socket or one FCU per spur.

If you want more sockets than that they they would have to be supplied through a 13A FCU and the total load would be limited to 13A. (The triple sockets you can get include a 13A fuse and count as a fused spur.)

If you want more sockets than that they they would have to be supplied through a 13A FCU and the total load would be limited to 13A. (The triple sockets you can get include a 13A fuse and count as a fused spur.)

Not sure if I'm understanding you, can I take one 13A FCU from my existing socket and then a further 13A FCU from the 13A FCU already taken.
I'm going to get an electrician in to do the work but want to know if what I need is possible or not.

Sponsored Links

Not sure if I'm understanding you, can I take one 13A FCU from my existing socket and then a further 13A FCU from the 13A FCU already taken.
I'm going to get an electrician in to do the work but want to know if what I need is possible or not.

You could do as you ask.. aslong as the exisiting socket and fcu are part of a ring circuit. Which you won't know unless you test as i said above.

You could do as you ask.. aslong as the exisiting socket and fcu are part of a ring circuit. Which you won't know unless you test as i said above.

ok thanks I'll let the electrician test for this and take it from there.

You need to test and check to see if the double and single outlet are in fact a ring.

Isolate the power (check for dead).
Remove either socket.
Look for continuity between L - L, N -N, E - E.
This will tell you if you have a ring.

I have just been informed that the sockets are in a ring circuit, does this enable me to take the 13A fcu for the floor heating and two double sockets from the existing double and single socket in adjacent room?

Theres a few different ways of doing this, either way your electrician will be able to take power from that point.

As its a ring main can I break into the ring and add 2 or even 3 double sockets and also take a 13A fused spur from the existing double socket.

Your electrician will know what to do, including testing to see if any particular cable is actually part of a ring final and not a spur.

As its a ring main can I break into the ring and add 2 or even 3 double sockets and also take a 13A fused spur from the existing double socket.

Yes you can, as long as you (or. ahem, your electrician) extend the ring and don't just spur from it.

All this faffing is one of the reasons I don't like ring circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back