Removing a rad without isolation valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So I'm planning to remove the rad in the lounge and also remove the pipes coming into the room from under the stairs. Removing the rad is the easy bit, but I'm not sure how to cut back the pipes without draining the system down.

Both pipes of the rad are spurred off of a another vertical run under the stairs, so my first assumption is that because it's clearly on it's own and not feeding another rad I can just cap the pipes individually once cut close to the spur point.

The actual cutting I was thinking of doing with a pipe freezing kit applied and a good quality push-fit cap for each pipe. That way I should only have the water in the pipes (and the rad of course) to deal with.

Good idea? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Make sure that you have turned off all other rads at both ends - then you just have the water in the pipes. When you remove the rad from the room, drain off the water from the pipework from these valves. If you have access under the floor, then cutting the pipes under here will also help drain the pipes.

You could use a freezing kit, but if you can protect the area surrounding where you intend to cut the pipes, then slice them off and quickly slip the pushfit endcaps on.

Sponsored Links
Turn off rad vlvs. Drain & remove radiator. Use a bung kit on the oven vent & cold feed. Undo 1 rad valve and drain pipework (you should only be able to drain a very small amount). Cut this pipe where you want and cap it. Then repeat for the other pipe. Job done.

Make sure that you have turned off all other rads at both ends - then you just have the water in the pipes. When you remove the rad from the room, drain off the water from the pipework from these valves. If you have access under the floor, then cutting the pipes under here will also help drain the pipes.

You could use a freezing kit, but if you can protect the area surrounding where you intend to cut the pipes, then slice them off and quickly slip the pushfit endcaps on.

do it, do it, do it, do it, c'mon you know you want to :eek: done it many times, you just need to get organised, not panic and go for it.

lol. I like the idea of 'jumping it live', but it's the cutting of the pipe that takes the time with water p&^%ing everywhere I'm not sure how 'smooth' the operation would be.

Thanks for the advice all. :D

Just to clarify, using a freezing kit will not be necessary as you have already drained the pipes as explained :rolleyes: You do need to protect the surrounding areas since there may be some moisture in the pipewok.

I apologise for my "colleagues" on here, who seem unable to fully read more than a couple of words in a post at any one sitting ;) :LOL: :LOL:

These procedures are OK if nothing goes wrong.

Check that you have fittings for the correct pipe size and that it has never swollen with frost, and beware of imperial 3/4 inch copper.

Just to clarify, using a freezing kit will not be necessary as you have already drained the pipes as explained :rolleyes: You do need to protect the surrounding areas since there may be some moisture in the pipewok.

I apologise for my "colleagues" on here, who seem unable to fully read more than a couple of words in a post at any one sitting ;) :LOL: :LOL:

lol.

Ok, think I've got the idea but I'll admit that heating isn't my forte. The two rad pipes spur off of a set of vertical pipes that come out of the floor and then into the ceiling of the understairs cupboard. So I would think that I would need to drain the pipes of all the rads upstairs which even with the actual rads turned off may still be a lot of water. I'd also then have to bleed them all to get the water back in the system wouldn't I? :confused:

It's not much in the grand plan of things - chances are it'll create it's own airlocks and hold some water in the pipes anyway.

And yes, bleeding the system afterwards will become necessary. Not too onorous surely :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back