House wiring check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening this is my 1st post
I am planning to buy a house to refur & sell.
This house has been partly refur by the last owner, but now is a repossesion.
It has been replasted & new wall lights have been fitted, but still has the old type fuse box.
How can i check that the wiring is any good, so to cost the project.To rewire the house would require plastering, which i believe would cost me my profits
The house is about 50 years old.

Sponsored Links
Get a spark in to do a Periodic Inspection Report. This'll give you a good idea of the state of the installation, and a good spark would be able to give a rough quote for any work needed.

This house has been partly refur by the last owner, but now is a repossesion.
The two worst possible things to happen to a property. DIY bodgery and ruination revenge by the previous occupiers.

Assume that a full rewire will be required.
Along with new plumbing, heating, kitchen, bathroom, and so on.

Sponsored Links
I am planning to buy a house to refur & sell.

To rewire the house would require plastering, which i believe would cost me my profits
The house is about 50 years old.

Due a rewire.

If you don't do it, the potential buyer will likely be advised to get it done and expect to get a price concession. He will then have to disrupt all your cosmetic work.

You have two options, really:

1. Do the decent thing and get it sorted.
2. Bodge it up with a new consumer unit and hope potential buyers' valuers ain't that switched on.

But, are you refiting the kitchen? The bathroom? Redecorating throughout? Compared to these the cost of a rewire is insignificant. Get it done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back