Plug sockets inside kitchen a cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there a rule about not allowing a plug socket inside a kitchen cupboard? I want to do this so that the array of phones and camcorders, iPods etc are hidden cos they're a mess when all out on your lovely new kitchen! :)

Would the the doors require a vent? Is it a building control issue?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Hi thx for ur reply - so adding any socket in home is notifiable to building control? I've done this for years while restoring the home, it's only because we're now doing an extension that they will have to see the property. What if I add in the future?

As Holmslaw says, it depends how you do it.

I wouldn't fit them to a flimsy 4mm back board, but a sturdy gable would be fine. They should be positioned so as not to be damaged by other stuff in the cupboard.
Ventilation shouldn't be an issue (you'd have difficulty installing an integrated oven if that were the case)

Is this kitchen already fitted? Are you having drawline or highline units?

I've seen drawers specifically made 'short' to allow sockets and plugs to sit neatly behind (the drawers were removable)

Sponsored Links
Hi - no kitchen not even started yet, just at my planning stage, hence the post here. Having both base and wall units.

Doesn't it state somewhere that you shouldn't attach accessories to kitchen units? So if the kitchen units are altered / changed the circuit remains untouched?

so adding any socket in home is notifiable to building control?
no, if the socket is added to and existing circuit that is in a location that is considered special, which the kitchen is, it then should be notified to building controls.
Adding a socket in a bedroom, living room, hall, landing is not notifiable but should have a minor works certificate.
Any new circuits in any location are notifiable.

Doesn't it state somewhere that you shouldn't attach accessories to kitchen units? So if the kitchen units are altered / changed the circuit remains untouched?

not that im aware of. I believe both Napit and the NIC have no problem with it either.

Anyway, if the kitchen is to be subsequently ripped out and replaced, chances are some work would be required to move sockets to suit the new kitchen layout, so little point in worrying about it now.

Hi - no kitchen not even started yet, just at my planning stage, hence the post here. Having both base and wall units.

just curious, are you having highline or drawerline base units?

Will the drawers easily removable once the kitchen is assembled?

If so, there wouldn't be a problem with putting the sockets behind one of the drawers

I want to do this so that the array of phones and camcorders, iPods etc are hidden cos they're a mess when all out on your lovely new kitchen! :)
Plan B: Realise that phones, camcorders, iPods etc have no business being in a kitchen.

Hi thx for ur reply
Please write using proper words.

so adding any socket in home is notifiable to building control? I've done this for years while restoring the home, it's only because we're now doing an extension that they will have to see the property.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

What if I add in the future?
Then your installation may not match the one described on your certificate.

To the OP.

I want to do this so that the array of phones and camcorders, iPods etc are hidden cos they're a mess when all out on your lovely new kitchen! :)
Plan B: Realise that phones, camcorders, iPods etc have no business being in a kitchen.
If having these devices in the kitchen is the most practical solution for you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them being there.
Hi thx for ur reply
Please write using proper words.
IIRC, AFAICT sheddy feels justified in using all sorts of abbreviations when he sees fit to do so. He does have a point sometimes where the text speak is so bad even a 14yo girl would struggle to understand it. Also, some people have such a poor grasp of punctuation, im sometimes out of breath just reading it. However, in this case, the way you communicated is perfectly understandable. Thx 4 the thx. BTW have you noticed the 'thanks' button top right of each post? A simple click is appreciated by most here. ;)

I see no problem with having these devices in a kitchen, in fact I quite likle the idea of having a "charging station" in a cupboard, most houses have so little storage in living spaces, the kitchen is often the only place left.

come on, own up, who has a "Man Draw", and how many are in the kitchen.

Yeah totally agree kitchen is a good place, but not with leads and chargers everywhere, it's horrible. Everyone to their own, but if I'm spending 40k on a kitchen diner with a killer contemporary look – even going to the expense of having 2 dishwashers cos with 5 kids, when it's on there always a gathering of more dirties cluttering up the lovely clean look – then hidden gadgets which ain't permanent items should be outa sight!

As far as 'writing proper words' is concerned - I don't see anything wrong with how I have typed, unless you've never been exposed to a mobile phone of email b4, it's not any harder to understand. I'm no typist so every post becomes an effort, I wish I could believe me but I'm a designer, not a secretary (hence I like the clean look :) )

Thx!

I see no problem with having these devices in a kitchen,
Nor I, as long as there is space, but the OP does, hence my advice to tackle the fundamental problem, not tinker with the symptoms.

come on, own up, who has a "Man Draw".
My phone charger is in the office.

If I had an iPod I'd charge it there too, I guess.

Camera charger (just like tool chargers) are stored with the item and brought out and used when needed.

Oh - and I think you'll find it's "drawer"... ;)

Yeah totally agree kitchen is a good place, but not with leads and chargers everywhere, it's horrible. Everyone to their own, but if I'm spending 40k on a kitchen diner with a killer contemporary look – even going to the expense of having 2 dishwashers cos with 5 kids, when it's on there always a gathering of more dirties cluttering up the lovely clean look – then hidden gadgets which ain't permanent items should be outa sight!
Repeat the following over and over again until you get it and start to act accordingly:

"A kitchen is a place of work."

As far as 'writing proper words' is concerned - I don't see anything wrong with how I have typed, unless you've never been exposed to a mobile phone of email b4,
I have been exposed to mobile phones for quite some time, and to the limitations of SMS which make abbreviations necessary.

In emails, and posts on forums, they are not necessary and should be eschewed. Writing emails and forum posts should not be regarded as an opportunity to dispense with correct grammar, punctuation and sentence construction etc, and as much care should be taken crafting them as any other form of written communication.

it's not any harder to understand.
That isn't the point.

I'm a designer, not a secretary (hence I like the clean look :) )
There's nothing wrong with wanting to achieve a clean look, or indeed any look which you find attractive, but the #1 cardinal sin that any designer can commit is to sacrifice function for form. If the functioning of anything is compromised by making form more important then it matters not one iota how attractive the item is - it doesn't work properly and that's that.

And sadly kitchens, and kitchen appliances, seem to attract more than their fair share of design which is so stupid that things aren't just compromised but are practically unusable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back