Melted Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just started a new job as a caretaker and have a few tasks to do that I've done for years and a couple that I've only done on a domestic basis so could do with a little advice on.

Today I was called upon because a plug for a plate warming unit had caught fire, and when they killed the power and unplugged it the live pin was stuck in the socket and the plug was done for.

I've chopped the cable and fitted a new plug and replaced the wall sockets with a new plate.

Could anyone advise why this might have happened? There's another plate warming unit in the kitchen and they said something similar had happened with that one and showed me the wall socket plate for that one which has a small burn mark on it but fortunately it hasn't got to the same point with that one but I've condemned it for now anyway but being a kitchen, they need it back up and running asap.

The connections to the sockets were spot on and the wiring looks ok in the other plug which has got hot but hasn't caught fire so can't think it's a bad connection.

I tried putting a smaller rating fuse in but they just popped. 13A is all that'll stay running.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Afaict this sort of problem is nearly always caused by a bad contact somewhere. Most likely between plug and socket though it could also be between plug and flex. Bad connections can also happen between the socket and the fixed wiring but if this was the case you would see evidence of damage to the socket terminals and the wires connected to them.

Bad connections are a particularly nasty type of fault because they don't blow fuses and they tend to make themselves worse over time as the heat softens the metal making the contact even worse.

If a plug/socket pair has been damaged by heat both plug and socket need to be replaced. Any conductor that appears to be heat damaged should be cut back to undamaged wire.

You should buy good quality plugs and sockets for any sockets subjected to high loads though unfortunately i've heard that even many of the good brands have been going downlhill lately so I don't know what exactly to reccoment.

Almost certainly a poor connection.
Do they let you replace sockets etc, given your lack of electrical knowledge and it being a commercial environment? What does the insurance say about it?
Do they not have an ongoing regieme of PAT testing and maintenance of the electrical systems?

Sponsored Links
It's time to call the police methinks. This crazy op is putting people's lives at risks - it beggars belief that you are giving him any help or advice :confused: Just plain irresponsible

intresting.

A caretaker used to take care of all problems at schools etc, but as above has been asked "are you qualified? "

well most jobs need you to be qualified nowadays (its impossible to be qualified all types of work) so does that make a caretaker actually a person who phones different company to sort the jobs out (no matter how simple they are)

sorry for stealing the thread!

is this an industrial kitchen?
you say caretaker.. is this a school or care facility or something then?

what does the rating plate of the plate warmers say?
most likely they are industrial things that should really be on a 16A blue plug and socket arrangement with a dedicated 16A feed from the CU.

(its impossible to be qualified all types of work)

no it's not.. it's perfectly possible to be a qualified plumber, sparky, chippie, painter/decorator, brickie and plasterer all at the same time..( which would be the main things needed for being a caretaker.. ).

it's highly unlikely and would cost lots of money to train and keep current, but it's not impossible.

This just sounds typical of the 13A plugs that we as a nation use and in my opinion are not suitable for loads anywhere near 13A.

I dont believe there is much difference these days between the 'good makes' and the stuff sold in the sheds conforms, it says so on every plug and socket.

it's highly unlikely and would cost lots of money to train and keep current, but it's not impossible.

sorry, i should of said very unlikley. There is alot more to what is listed above and personally i cant see it being likley that someone can be qualified in all aspects.

Personally if you was qualified in all above then i would guess you would be working as a "guru" somewhere getting paid loads of money ;)

A caretaker used to take care of all problems at schools etc, but as above has been asked "are you qualified? "
I'm afraid I struggle to see how someone who tries fitting a plug fuse smaller than the rating which the appliance demands to see if it cures a plug overheating problem can pass muster in terms of EAWR #16....

Every one I have seen (Granted as an amateur not many but nore than a handfull) has been caused by the socket not contacting on the pin well enough.

your average 13A plug is only contacted by a very small amout of copper compared to it's total length..

unlike the round pins of the industrial type sockets..

i'd be checking the spec of the plate, then using a clamp meter to see how much it's really using.

or if you have access to one a heat sensitive camcorder that can see hot plugs etc

have you got pics of the damage?

Just to let you all know we have a fully qualified electrician who calls by on an almost daily basis who I've known for a long time (he has said that he's happy for me to do jobs that I know I'm capable of doing and he'll check them over) who was unavailable at the time who has checked it over and said it was fine, so nobody's life is at risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back