Combine fuse for bathroom fan and light, with light switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment the switches for my bathroom are as such to the left of the door to the bathroom:

1. A fuse switch which is wired into the bathroom fan and light

2. A double switch which turns the bathroom light on/off and the hallway light on/off (one of two switches for the hallway light).

At the moment, the fuse has to be on for the bathroom light to come on, but if the fuse is on the bathroom fan runs permanently, whether the light is on or off.

The ideal setup would be that the fan only comes on when the light is turned on. But then I can have the option of turning the fuse for the fan off, so I can have the light on without the fan.

What are my options?

I hope I explained that properly :S

Sponsored Links
If your fused switch is connected so that the fan runs permanently regardless of the switch position, then it is either wired incorrectly or the fan is burgered.

Can you provide a wiring diagram or detailed pictures of wiring?

The fan only runs when the fuse is switched on. But then it runs with the light on or off. I'd like it so that the fuse can be left on for the fan, but it only comes on when the light is turned on.

It should be wired like that, unless it is a non-timer fan, which doesn't make sense because to turn the fan off means switiching off the fused spur which also kills the light.

Something is amiss somewhere. We need diagrams or pictures to see how it's done at the moment.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the permanent line and switched line are both connected together to the fan. (assuming a timer fan)

The perm line should come from the load side of the SFCU, the sw line should come from after the lightswitch (same as the sw line to the light)

If it's not a timer fan, then just connect its line feed from after the lightswitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back