Potterton over heat thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again all i have a potterton performa 24 and the overheat stat keeps clicking out and i have to push the little button in on it to reset. It only happens when the hot water runs but not all the time.

Anyone help please

Sponsored Links
It's overheating

Your plate heat ex is most likely sludged or scaled. Clean or replace

I had exactly this problem with a similar Potterton. The clips which should hold the thermostats to the return pipe inside had both bust and the stats were just flapping around inside. Worth checking.

That last post is not logical !

If an overheat stat is not in contact it cannot trip because its not being subjected to the heat in the flow pipe.

The first reply is the one to follow up as its a blocked plate HE.

Tony

Sponsored Links

If an overheat stat is not in contact it cannot trip because its not being subjected to the heat in the flow pipe.

The 2 stats not in contact were the control stat on front of boiler and the pump overrun stat. I didn't mention that the overheat stat was attached & functioning (should have done).

So the only stat functioning was the overheat stat.

Logical now?

Sorry for not being clear :oops:

thank you for all the replys, but please tell me, how do i clean the heat exchanger.
O did i mention it only happens when the hot water is switched off. For example if we shower its fine but when we turn it off it trips

The 2 stats not in contact were the control stat on front of boiler and the pump overrun stat. I didn't mention that the overheat stat was attached & functioning (should have done).

So the only stat functioning was the overheat stat.

Logical now?

Sorry for not being clear :oops:
performa doesn't have a pump overrun stat and control stat is connected to board. Thermsistor is screwed into primary flow pipe.
Are you thinking of profile?

thank you for all the replys, but please tell me, how do i clean the heat exchanger.

O did i mention it only happens when the hot water is switched off. For example if we shower its fine but when we turn it off it trips

That is a classic description of a primary heat exchanger which is scaled with lime compounds.

It can be cleaned in situ with hot sulphonic acid ( DS3 ) but is messy and has to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

If it were removed by a gas engineer then it could be cleaned with sulphonic acid or HCl. Again messy and somewhat risky working with acids.

Not what I would recommend as a DIY job !

Tony

performa doesn't have a pump overrun stat and control stat is connected to board. Thermsistor is screwed into primary flow pipe.
Are you thinking of profile?

Yes petit_pablo, you are spot on - mine was a profile. Thought it was worth a quick post just in case the OP's control stat sensor had become unattached, but thanks for putting me right.
Good that Potterton ditched the flimsy clips in favour of screws

Ahh the confusion! Performa and profile are very different boilers. If it's tripping after the hot water has satisfied then i'd look at the pump overrun facility or the bypass on the system.

Check that when demand ends the pump continues to run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back