porchlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im replacing an existing porchlight with a new
one ,but the new one says it must be earthed,the old one is`nt.There is only a live and netreul wire fitted to the old porchlight,can i just ignore the earth wire on the new lamp?
Thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
You need to connect the earth wire of the new light to the earth of the circuit from which the old light gets it power. The other preferred option is to supply a new feed to the porch light in proper twin and erth wire, and isolate the old feed. or if both of these is impractical for some reason, then it is possible to borrow an earth from another circuit that has one, although even this is considered a bit poor practice. The feed could be taken from another earthed light fitting, or from a socket via a fused spur.
regards M.

PS
It might be easier to try and get a double insulated (non earthed) replacement light.

Mr. Bacardi Breezer, perhaps that wasn't the most helpful of replies. Whilst I respect your answers (in general) and the fact that you always contribute to the site, maybe you could have answered the question with a bit more fore-thought. Maybe Breezer, the Geezer wanted a little more help than No!!!!!

Sponsored Links
mapj1 said:
You need to connect the earth wire of the new light to the earth of the circuit from which the old light gets it power. The other preferred option is to supply a new feed to the porch light in proper twin and erth wire, and isolate the old feed. or if both of these is impractical for some reason, then it is possible to borrow an earth from another circuit that has one, although even this is considered a bit poor practice. The feed could be taken from another earthed light fitting, or from a socket via a fused spur.
regards M.

PS
It might be easier to try and get a double insulated (non earthed) replacement light.
also remember if you find one earthing problem there are likely to be more

plugwash said:
also remember if you find one earthing problem there are likely to be more
Well in my house (built 1937, rewired at some time after that) there is no Earth at all in the lighting circuit - it's run in seperate ("conduit") red and black cables. Where it passes within walls it is actually in conduit (steel but not earthed), but in the loft and under the floor it's just loose/clipped. There are no metal light fittings so it's not actually dangerous, but I imagine I'll have to rewire it in T&E if I ever decide to sell the house.

Cheers,

Howard

For what it is worth, earthing was not needed in a lighting circuit prior to 1966-67 (15th edn regs). Earthing in power circuits came in some 40 years earlier (1927 approx, -note that is 10 years before fused neutral supply fuses were finally discontinued, and there are plenty of those left in service.)
But yes, when you re-do it, do it in T&E, it is then future proofed for fluroescent lights, metal switch plates etc.
Any non-earthed lighting circuit is probably now coming close to end-of-life, although if in good condition there is no need to rewire it immediately.

regards M.

Thanks for all your replys.
What are the dangers of fitting it by ignoring the earth,will it short in wet weather,or short any lights etc on the same circuit? The porch light is out of reach unless your 6ft 4 and were all shorties,will the caseing be live without the earth?
Sorry im a bit of a electrical novice(obviously)and i havent ignored your advise,just dont fancy paying out for an electrician to rewire for the sake of a porchlight.
Thanks again for any replies

Gazza

In short (no punn intended) some one could get killed.

if there is no earth it is worth while getting all of your electrical system checked as none may have an earth

remember this:

electricity has no prejudices it kills anyone

gazzauk said:
Sorry im a bit of a electrical novice(obviously)and i havent ignored your advise,just dont fancy paying out for an electrician to rewire for the sake of a porchlight.
Then buy another porchlight - look for one that says it is double insulated, or has a symbol of one square inside another.

You must not fit something that needs an earth if you can't provide an earth.

OK thanks all.

I will get the wiring in the house checked and either get a dlb insulated light instead,or maybe even cleanup and repaint the old one.

Thanks again guys.

Gazza

It's possible that the old lamp would require an earth connection if bought new (you suggest repainting it so it's probably metal).
So your old lamp repainted will be just as hazardous, or not, as the new lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back