Waterproof socket in bathroom?

Sponsored Links
It is not just the socket that is the potential problem, but the appliances plugged into it & not just what you may use but anyone else in the future. But depending on which zone it is in I think under the 17th ed regs you may now have a socket if it is rcd protected at the consumer unit. I am sure someone will confirm this or shoot me down in flames.

Depending on where the socket is sited, you may be allowed a standard socket in your bathroom.

If not, you could connect the washer to an FCU instead.

To fit a socket , you need

1 A bl@@dy big bathroom.

and

2 Confirmation from the appliance manufacturer that the appliance is designed to operate in that environment.

If you fit an FCU, it (and the appliance) need to be outside the zones.

If you have the space, you could build a cupboard to house it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

It isn't a huge bathroom but it is big enough for the washing machine! I had a washing machine in my last bathroom, which was smaller, and there was no problem with the machine working in a slightly damp environment.

I can put it on a dedicated MCB and with a waterproof socket it should be absolutely fine... but I can't find any reference to it in building regs and if I put it on the drawings and building control see it and refuse there is no where else the washing machine can go. ( The kitchen is small and I don't like washing machines in kitchens).

post floor plans with some rough dimensions and we'll find a place for you..

sockets need to be 3m from the edge of zone 1.

You are not allowed a socket in a bathroom unless it is more than 3 metres from the bath/shower. Period.

It does not matter if the socket is water proof, gold or made of super glue.

You can (as detailed above) provide an outlet plate or a suitable FCU with the appliance wired directly in to it.

The outlet must be RCD protected and (I would suggest) equipotentailly bonded to all other extraneous conductive parts.

There is a guidance document on this here: http://www.amdea.org.uk/PublicCoP/Appliances-in-bathrooms_July09.pdf

BUT NOTE: although this was produced in July 2009, it still has been written to comply with the old 16th edition (2008) of BS7671. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: But the general guidance is good enough if you merge that with 17th edition.

I have mailed Amdea several times that they should update their guidance but still nothing has been done. Anyone care to join me?

I know Part P says no sockets in bathrooms
All Part P says is:

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the
design and installation of electrical installations
in order to protect persons operating,
maintaining or altering the installations from
fire or injury.

Thank very much guys, looks like my question is answered.
I didn't know you could post images on here- I'll look into it, but I think I can work out a zone 3 location to make it work. Two cities the doc you linked to mentioned washing machines specifically!

"Washing machines, tumble dryers, washer-dryers and other appliances rated IPX4 should be sited in Zone 3 or beyond."

Brilliant, thank you all very much.
Susie

Zone 3 doesn't exist any more, the problem you have isnt the washing machine, it's the siting of the socket which will feed it.

And the sighting of the socket

You cannot have a socket, so stop talking about a socket. You cannot plug a washing machine into a socket in the bathroom you have described.

You can hard wire a washing machine in the bathroom, if other precautions are taken.

Apologies Taylortwocities the information you provided has been excellent and I should have referred to an FCU and not a socket. Whilst it will just sound as if I don't like looking stupid I did actually have the right thing in mind!

What about cutting the plug off, running the wire through the wall to a plug and socket in the adjacent room? maybe a bit naff but then at least you haven't got a socket in the bathroom!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back