New House - New Electrics - Double Consumer Units????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved to a new house - thats built circa 1910. Its been what looks like to me rewired between what i'd guess as 15-5 years ago (prob closer to former)

There are 2 consumer units in the lobby - not only is it highly unpleasant on the eye, I find it rather confusing.

1 clearly has been disconnected it is switched off on the board at hte main switch, and there is no supply wires to this. However, out of the top, there are still the incoming/outgoing circuit wires - grey twin & earths (6 off) that dissappera out of the consumer unit in to the plaster then dissappear.

Why would any professional leave this unit when rewiring and putting in a new one? The old box - I repeat no supply to - has an earth bond. The second unit looks fully operational albeit my whole house is on 4 circuits that I suspect is not great either.

I need some help figuring out what someone might do this, and what to do to ensure safe disconnection if its truely redundant.

Sponsored Links
I expect that the "disconected" one is an off peak fuse board that served storage radiators etc.

Its hard to tell from your description.

Take some pics of teh fuseboards (including the meter and feeds) and will be able advise more.

Does the property have central heating that looks fairly new ?
Are there single switch or switch-fuses located in strategic places around the house which could have been the supplies to storage heaters ? (Usually low level, one in each room - sometimes two in larger rooms)

Sponsored Links
Well done - have just had another look and yes, they are all blue (6 of) 15A rewireable fuses which must relate to the off peak storage heating that has since been removed. I cant however find the internal points very easily as I presume the house has been replastered. I will have to get under floor but I'm keen to get that board out.

Thanks to all. Now, for the next post, the fact that the other consumer unit has only 3 30a fuses and a 15a one.

I presume I should have more like a;

split downstairs and upstairs lighting circuit (5a each)
split downstiars & upstairs power socket ring main
a 30a? for kitchen with appliances
a 15a for garden fully RCD protected individually

I'll probably get somone out to quote.

If you are going to use an apostrophe, please use it correctly.

Apostrophes get very upset if you put them where they aren't supposed to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back