One reluctant rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to recent posts.... completed drain down/flush. Changed a couple of leaky rad valve, re-filled, re-started. No major problems - this time no banging from the boiler (did a slow re-fill and was very careful with bleeding). However, one rad is still reluctant to heat up and I wonder whether this could be the problem.
We had our central heating piping re-routed - previously had feeds dropping down from a bedroom (yes the same one with the cool rad) - the feeds were cut off and capped. The capped pipes are approx 24 inches in length off the t's. Could these capped pipes be causing an airlock problem on the return of this cool rad, preventing proper flow of water?

P.S. IS the pump bled by undoing the central pump screw and when the air comes out does it make an interesting noise?

Sponsored Links
Are the capped off pipes orientated vertically above or bellow the main pipe runs :?:

Try closing all the other rads except the one that in cold, that sometimes gets the water flowing through it.

(moving water has a lower pressure than static water, of lot of tradesmen refer to water as being lazy, perhaps this is why?)

Tks Brumylad.

Capped pipes are in the same plane as main pipe runs or so I suppose they are level, but I know they are unsupported. Not sure if this answers your question?

Sponsored Links
any air trapped in there is gona expand and cause flow problems, I've heard of dead legs causing this kind of problem before.

You could replace the ends with manual air vents, I know its not good to have these under the floor, but hell plenty of pumps installed under floors.

The other option is to remove the T's. You can obtain slip couplings if the pipe work is very tight.

Thanks for the advice - carpets up and replace the t's then.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back