Hot water not getting hot,yet central heating is fine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it seems that although i have hot central heating, i don't have hot water!

although its an old system the pump (is working) and cylinder are not 5 years old (tank stat is original maybe 15+ years old honeywell L641A1005)

newish controller new for old and new thermostat

i have replaced the main ballcock in the main tank and checked both tanks to see if they fill. they do.

I have tried putting the temp up on the tank stat but still only warm.

I believe their are at least one motorized valve under the bathroom.

even the electric immersion heater is not working to heat the water, wether this is a different issue.

anyone able to help

Regards

Tony

Sponsored Links
Possibly motorised valve on HW side isnt working. You need to find it and move the lever from 'Auto' to 'Man'. This will wedge it open, overriding the motor. If this gets you HW then valve is faulty, either new valve or possible to change the head on some to avoid draining system.

Immersion is different supply, check fuses etc, if you feel confident check it has power when switched on. If so, its goosed, replace.

Yes, but it overrides the stat on the tank, and you'll probably need CH on as well to get the boiler and pump to run and heat the tank. Putting valve on manual will confirm if valve is faulty and get you some HW for a bit, but best to change it asap unless you like large gas bills!

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Hugh for your prompt reply,

I switched it over and hopefully now have some hot water.. :LOL:

I have an old Honeywell valve are you aware if the new models fit

existing is a "8840"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back