This "fishy" smell ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the common faults for this then ?? I read it could be faulty sockets ect, so is it just a case of changing them or have I read that the wiring needs stripping back if it has become brittle ? What caused the wire to become brittle ??

Dave

Sponsored Links
Loose connections on the backs of sockets and other accessories.

The loose connection causes an increase of resistance. This causes heat (Power dissipated equals I squared times R, remember). The heat causes damage to the connection which further increase the resistance, and so it continues.

And it stinks! :eek:

fishy smell = cooking plastic..

might be older wire insulation, might be the plastic of the sockets etc..

heat + plastic = brittle plastic..

faulty sockets cause heat to build up in the internal metal parts and the wire nearest the socket as the heat conducts back up the wire.

I had this in my old house.. there were no electrical accessories or cables in the area where we could smell it (only very occasionally).. though it was one of teh cats, but we had laminate and it was bone dry..

I saw something on Watchdog (or something like) and they were saying that some paints can give this smell off .. even after a good amount of time!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/06/smelly_paint_update.html

Sponsored Links
you havent recently split up with the missus have you?

(could be the fish guts in the curtain pole story)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back