Combi pressure drop every week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another quick question while I'm online, it's been annoying for ages now

The boiler pressure drops in about a week from 1.5 to about 0.2 and I have to top it ip to get the combi to fire up.

What could be the causes of this. I have checked for a ny leaks and all seems ok,also the pressure vale outisde is dry (was adised to check that).

Someone briefly mentioned Hyrdogen in the radiators could be the cause.... is this true if so how can I check for this?

What else could cause this please?

Sponsored Links
Try fixing a plastic bag over the end of the discharge pipe and see if it collects any water as the pressure drops - maybe during the night.

It might be that the expansion vessel in the boiler has lost its air charge, so that when the boiler heats up it raises the pressure momentarily to 3 bar and then the PRV discharges, causing a pressure loss. Water would only show at the PRV outlet pipe when the boiler is hot, not all the time.

Either that or you've got a leak in your pipework or rads.

Sponsored Links
I have a foot pump, so will check it tomorrow when I have more time and a fresh. I have the tap washer to fix too but I'm too hot and bothered now from this weather :)

So it's a leak somewhere, the Pressure alve leaking or the expansion vessel that is at fault

A footpump is not the tool - you need a mechanical 'pen' type pressure tyre pressure guage ideally, and a normal bicycle pump if it needs re-charging.

Remember to de-pressurise the water side of the system first!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back