Newly Skimmed Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First off, sorry if these questions are stupid- im not very DIY minded!!

Just had the walls in our kitchen skimmed but unfortunately there are a few places where the finish isnt as smooth as expected- am I ok just to go over this with some fine sandpaper?

Also, there are a few places where there is a slight gap between the wall and the work surface - is this ok to be filled and sanded?

Finally, when plastering over angle bead - should the plaster fully cover every part? I just noticed this morning as its drying out that on the windowsills I can see some of the metal.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for asking daft questions!!

Sponsored Links
Hi MD,

First thing to do is to give the plaster a 'mist coat', water down some cheap/trade matt emulsion by about 15-20% and give it a coat of this, this will seal the plaster for starters before you put your finish coats of more epxensive paint on, of which it will still need 2 further coats.

this mist coat will also help you see where it needs a bit of TLC and make it more obvious as to what needs a little rub with sandpaper or a dab of filler etc.

regarding your beads, you should see the very corners and nothing more.

Hi MD,

First thing to do is to give the plaster a 'mist coat', water down some cheap/trade matt emulsion by about 15-20% and give it a coat of this, this will seal the plaster for starters before you put your finish coats of more epxensive paint on, of which it will still need 2 further coats.

this mist coat will also help you see where it needs a bit of TLC and make it more obvious as to what needs a little rub with sandpaper or a dab of filler etc.

regarding your beads, you should see the very corners and nothing more.

Thanks trowelmonkey1 - much appreciated!

Sorry for asking another daft question- but when you say the very corners, does that mean the corners of the bead i.e. the metal and not the mesh and I can paint over it?

Sponsored Links
First thing to do is to give the plaster a 'mist coat', water down some cheap/trade matt emulsion by about 15-20%

I think that’s a bit thick for a mist coat TM; I use 25-30% & 2/3 coats in quick succession which really helps it stick; dry out overnight & then chosen finish.

i'll bow to your superior knowledge Rich C, i'll give your technique a go next time i do it mate! :D mist coat is one of those things you will get a slightly different answer for each time you ask the question, nice to have a definite/confident decision on this.

Op, you shouldn't see any mesh as the boys have said, the very corner of the bead though yes, and yes paint over it.

mist coat is one of those things you will get a slightly different answer for each time you ask the question, nice to have a definite/confident decision on this.
your right there monkey i use 50-50, i suppose its like the pva scenario "ie" some paints are thinner and have more water than others,
i had a chat with a painter and dec a few weeks back who paints walls day in and day out, he said he uses 2 mist coats of 50-50 as well, b4 putting the final finish on

guess it's another thing you get a feel for then, still, seems like either way i'm not diluting quite enough, will up my water content next time! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back