Create double spur box from one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm fitting a shower pump in the airing cupboard of my bathroom.
There is a spur socket already there for the emersion heater, can i make this into a double socket easy enough, or will I have to run a new wire down from the junction box in the attic?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What is the pump rated at? the spur will most likely be on its own 16a supply could you just not put the pump into the spur?

Hi, the pumps a 1.5 bar. it says to connect it to a 230-240V ac supply fused at 3amps via a double pole isolator.

Do you mean wire it in to the existing spur along with the emersion, doubling up?

What circuit is this fused spur on? What is that circuit rated at?

Sponsored Links
Testers! turn your mcb`s off one at a time, it will more than likely be on a 16a supply on its own though most immersion heaters are.if not it could be on the house ring.

Also if your going to use the fcu and the pump is rated at 3 amp you will need to check the fuse inside the fcu and downrate to appropriate size.

I suppose so you`d have to change the fuse in the plug top though to an appropriate size.Is the fcu surface mounted? if so just swap it for a double box and connect the twin and earth into a double socket.

Do you still use the immersion?

The immersion switch is in the kitchen, the box is in the airing cupboard.
Am I right in thinking then I can get a new box which will accomodate both the immersion and the pump?

just spur off next to it and fit another single box at the side, its litterally a 2 min job.

just spur off next to it and fit another single box at the side, its litterally a 2 min job.

OK, think that's simple enough. The earth on the spur that is there is conected to the the pipe on the tank. Is that right and do I need to run a new earth to the same point?

its just a bond im guessing if its tagged to your pipe? although i dont know why if your mains water is bonded from the consumer unit and cross bonded under sink ect if not its just earthing the tank. Just run a peice of 2.5mm twin and earth into a new box from the incoming side of the fcu already in placde and connect as appropriate then connect your pumps flex into the outgoing side of the new fcu or just plug it in if your putting a socket there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back