8 way adaptor and a magic switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello peeps,

I have an empty fireplace which I would like to put all my stuff (DVD Player, Virgin box, Router, Modem, Wii, Amplifier, CD Player), and on the chimney breast I plan to hang the TV.

I would like to have all the stuff plugged in at the back of the chminey breast, and a single switch of some sort on the side of the chimney breast which will turn them all on or off.

Can I take a spur from a nearby double socket, which will go to this main switch, then use the switch to control one of these...

http://shop.aktiscomputing.co.uk/8-way-belkin-surgemaster-mains-adapter-2-metre-lead-182-p.asp

....or something similar.

Is that possible/legal. If yes, can you tell me what type of switch I should use? If not, why not?

Many thanks,

ETFairfax

Sponsored Links
One of these

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1040.html

However, it would be better to have this controlling a socket, then plug in the multi lead. In fact, if you're not bothered about surge protection, just install a shedload of double sockets controlled by the switch. As many as you want, as it has a 13 amp fuse.

Nice one Steve thanks very much.

So, if I buy one of those I can just take the plug off the 8 way adaptor and wire it up to that switch?? Cool.

I agree with you that the double socket would be better, but I already have the adaptor, and this will keep my time and costs down (my wife is on my case!!!!!)

Cheers,

ETFairfax

Sponsored Links
If it's in a fireplace you should use one of these:

44-00005006_highres_large.jpg

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back