How many appliances can I run off a single house socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I first moved into the property I had problems with the circuit breaker flipping and shutting off the PC and washing machine. Yesterday I just had my second desktop Power Supply Unit (PSU) die in less than a year. As these things are expensive to replace I wanted to make sure I'm not running too many appliances off a single socket?

I'm running the following from one socket via a Belkin 8-way extension:

850W desktop computer PSU
Speakers
Printer
Monitor
TV
Virgin TV box
Phone
Aquarium pump

Is that too much or have I just been really unlucky with PSUs?

Sorry if DIYnot is not the correct place to ask such questions - I was searching for a forum on UK electrics! And many thanks to those who choose to help.

Best wishes,

Merlin

Sponsored Links
add it all up, i bet it's no where near the total 13a limit for the 8 way, is it surge protected? is the pc on 24/7 or switched on and off?

Thanks for the reply, the PC is switched off overnight. The 8-way extension is a Belkin-BG108000ce2M which I'm sure is surge protected.

I'll add up the components amps - I appreciate the help because I didn't even know it was amps I was supposed to be counting! :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks but I'm sure the ventilation is clear and the PC didn't have time to overheat - it just blew from cool.

The Coolermaster M850 PSU says under "Input" on the manufacturer website:

12A @ 115Vac / 6.3A @ 230Vac

I live in Leeds and don't know whether the mains are 115 Vac or 230 Vac, so does that mean if I have 115 Vac mains it's eating all the juice?

12A @ 115Vac / 6.3A @ 230Vac

I live in Leeds and don't know whether the mains are 115 Vac or 230 Vac, so does that mean if I have 115 Vac mains it's eating all the juice?

Yorkshire's a funny place, but they still use 230v. :LOL:

Haha to both! :) Unfortunately Coolermaster is what I'm working with - they must make some working power supplies!!

I live in Leeds and don't know whether the mains are 115 Vac or 230 Vac,
So how do you manage when you go out to buy light bulbs, or a kettle, or an iron or a washing machine or........ ?

simple he buys what the shop sells him! :LOL: :LOL:

from what the OP has described i don't think he is likely to be overloading the socket, but i personally would look at having an extra socket or two installed to spread the load more evenly.

;) As I said I don't know anything about the electrical side of such things. The GTX 280 said it needed a power supply of at least 650W (?) plus with other stuff I just opted for something I knew would have enough juice to power everything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back