Lining Paper onto plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of putting up lining paper in my living room then painting over it. Two of the walls are plasterboard and in a lot of places the paint has flaked off the plasterboard after stripping the previous paper. I'd guess the depth is under 1/2mm but is this likely to show through the lining paper? Or is there a suitable grade of lining paper that will overcome this?

Thanks,
Glengyle.

Sponsored Links
Lining paper is not the be all and end all it wont cover everything, however, rub the walls down thoroughly and skim across the patches where the paint has come off down to the board. Rub these down and paint over with a cheap matt emulsion.

Use a thickish lining paper like 1200/1400 grade, you can get thicker but it doesnt always follow that a thicker one will make it better.
Then repaint in your chosen finish.

Thanks Robbie. When you say "skim across" would Polycell Smooth Over be suitable for doing this? Also, after emulsioning would the wall require sizing with paste before hanging the lining paper?

Sponsored Links
Yeah the smoothover will be fine, use a broad scraper or a floating trowel or a caulking tool. Once the wall has been coated with a cheap emulsion there is no need to size before applying the lining paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back