removing windscreen wiper arm (Toyota)

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
One of my wiper arms is out of alignment as it was removed when the bonnet was sprayed. I have pulled off the plastic cap and removed the nut on the spindle, i had expected that it would pull off the splines but it does not seem to move. I am reluctant to use great force in case i damage something. I can feel the drive linkage moving if I try to lever the end of the arm up.

Is this the right way to do it? Is there a trick to it?

TIA

Sponsored Links
you are wise to be careful,i have heard of them breaking,iirc soak with some wd40 or similar and GENTLY TAP WITH A RUBBER MALLET.or perhaps obtain a proper removal tool for it.

where should I tap it? I know it was removed and refitted in the last week because it just came back from a respray

the sprayers are not very competent or i would take it straight back there

Play safe and use Machine Marts tool - 040211427. Laser do the same one. Its made from toffee but it does work.
John :)

Sponsored Links
well take it back to them then john and tell them to sort it out,that way you wont have the problem of breaking it or spending any money to sort the problem.

ther reason it went back for respray is that they damaged the bonnet when repairing the wing. Then it had to go back again because they painted the bonnet badly

who knows what damage they will do if they get their hands on it again? :mad:

mmm see your point m8,but i would stand over them while they carry out the adjustment just to make sure they dont fubar anything else.and IF THEY BREAK IT THEY FIX IT,you break it and no doubt it will cost the earth for something simple.

If it has been off recently it should come with a little persuasion, give it a spray of WD then a good wiggle whist pulling upwards. It is on a splined shaft.

;)

Gently moving the arm left to right, and gently tapping the side of the arm works for me normally, sometimes if i have a copper mallet to hand i will tap the shaft whilst pulling the arm upwards.

managed to wiggle it off after overnight soak in WD40. The thermal effects of hot sun on black during the day, and a cool night, might also have helped it penetrate.

ta all

Sponsored Links
Back