Changing electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an old electric shower that needs replacing. I don't know whether to replace it with another electric shower or change to a thermostatic mixer shower as I have a combi boiler.
Does anyone know if it is a relatively easy job to change the shower so it runs off the boiler and how much it is likely to cost in labour as I would have to get a professional to do the job.
Or would it be better to just replace it with another electric shower?
Also, I am thinking of changing the basin in the bathroom to a basin with vanity unit....at present there are two taps but I would have to change it to a mixer tap....again, it this relatively easy to do/more costly?
Any help would be appreciated
thanks

Sponsored Links
Easier and cheaper to replace electric shower like for like. As for pricing well my crystal ball cannot see inside a bathroom in Durham from London.

Pete

thanks for the response.
I wasn't asking for an exact quote obviously just whether replacing with a thermo would be loads more expensive than just replacing with electric so I can work out which I can afford!

One problem I can foresee, if you changed to a thermostatic shower is. If your boiler breaks down, you then have 0 hot water for showers. Just replace the leccy one. ;) ;) ;)

Ohh just thought,,, If your electricity supply cuts off, you'll have 0 hot water anyway. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest, what kw-age is your current electric shower - as you may find that the supply cable to the existing shower is insufficient for your decent powered newer model?

If you change your shower like for like, the cable should be ok, if it is ok to start with, and correctly sized.
Have an electrician check it for you.
A mixer shower will also need a hot supply, as you know; can you get one up the wall and through the tiles?
Before you buy the leccy shower, isolate the existing one and check what side the supplies are; left or right side entry?
Any scars from old tiles, can cheaply be covered with a plastic board under the new shower, if the pipe is long enough to come through.

One problem I can foresee, if you changed to a thermostatic shower is. If your boiler breaks down, you then have 0 hot water for showers. Just replace the leccy one. ;) ;) ;)

Ohh just thought,,, If your electricity supply cuts off, you'll have 0 hot water anyway. ;) ;) ;)

That's a problem with a combi, the smallest component failures you're out of heat and hot water. Keep the electric shower and put a bath shower mixer on the bath (if you have a bath). You have the best of both worlds while there's electricity. Have a gas or open fire too if you can then you have some warmth in the house if the combi fails.

If you change your shower like for like, the cable should be ok, if it is ok to start with, and correctly sized.

Agreed - however practically this isn't always as easy as you make it sound - I go to a lot of customers where they are running an 8kw shower on 6mm T&E and this has been installed for years (doesnt meet current regs) therefore you cant just go an install a new 8kw shower as its illegal. More so - its almost impossible to find an 8kw (decent branded) shower nowadays which leaves you with a 8.5kw - which you definitely cant install on 6mm cable, or a 7.5kw - which you may as well not bother putting in as the pressure and heat from is are so awful its better to be under the garden hose :LOL:

To contradict all the experts, the thermostatic (or simple pressure-balanced) shower run off a combi will be far cheaper to operate and give you a far better shower (mains pressure allowing) than any electric shower available. Of course the installation may not be at all simple, depending on where the hot water pipes are run.

Changing to a mixer tap isn't usually a problem. You should have mains pressure to both the hot and cold supply, so will have the choice of plenty of designer taps.

Agreed - however practically this isn't always as easy as you make it sound - I go to a lot of customers where they are running an 8kw shower on 6mm T&E and this has been installed for years (doesnt meet current regs) therefore you cant just go an install a new 8kw shower as its illegal. More so - its almost impossible to find an 8kw (decent branded) shower nowadays which leaves you with a 8.5kw - which you definitely cant install on 6mm cable, or a 7.5kw - which you may as well not bother putting in as the pressure and heat from is are so awful its better to be under the garden hose :LOL:

8kw = 35amps.

6mm is good for up to 47amps if its clipped direct ;)

8kw = 35amps.

6mm is good for up to 47amps if its clipped direct ;)

I think we are all aware of the theory - as noted above I am speaking in terms of the real world ;)

I have yet to see an electric shower that is clipped all the way from the CU :LOL:

I think you better go and wipe your lips bournemouth plumber as it is turning brown with the sh1t your talking. Stick to what you know and don't talk about subjects you're not qualified or experienced in.

By the way I run an NICEIC, Gas Safe, OFTEC and MCS business! so I would think very carefully before replying or I will make you look a fool!

In the majority of houses the cable will be run underfloors either down or upstairs where there is no thermal insulation or in plasterboard walls/accross attics with no thermal insulation surrounding the cable. Also raggled into wall and plastered over, this is the SAME as clipped direct.

So when a professional inspects an tests the existing circuit before installing a new shower he can safely install a shower up 9.5Kw.

Anything above this and 10mm will be required.

For the untrained/unqualified numpties on here!

Get yourself a clamp meter and run your electric shower at max and take current reading, I think you will be surprised at what the meter shows.

It is not always viable to run a new cable or just to much hassle i.e expense. Therefore, getting a apprentice trained timeserved professional to look at it is what you need.

Some people on here just have to have an argument. Something, which on a Thursday night I am not rising too.

If you read above - The point I was originally trying to make was just be careful before replacing an electric shower and dont assume that you can just replace like for like.

I was giving one possible scenario where it might prove incorrect to replace an existing electric shower with another. There was nothing incorrect in what I said. I am qualified and experienced so I am perfectly well aware of the regulations and theory. Of course it is entirely possible that it is safe to replace one shower with another - but surely you would agree it is best for the OP to get it checked by someone qualified to do so first!??

This forum is here to help people and provide advice - not as a platform for arguments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back