Never rains... Leak on lead joint!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well plodding along ok with bathroom (not had chance today to look at bath but not to worry!

Went in the cupboard today that houses the mains stopcock and it smelt a little damp. Inspected the stopcock all is well but as I pulled my hand out it was hit by a little trickle of water.

Got the torch out and under the stopcock is a piece of copper then a grey looking bubble thing and then I presume lead. I rang a plumber that I have used before he said it had been wet wiped???, you can't do that anymore but he couldn't help anyway because he doesn't carry kit for lead!

Rang umpteen others all with same reply, now when you run a tap it stops, now obviously I can't do that so a pan will do for now. I've read round the internet and found out about a leadlock, principle seems ok biggest fear is an almighty balls up by me not knowing anything about lead and 4 neighbours having no water!!

Am I best to try other plumbers in the morning or is it something I can look at myself?

Sponsored Links
A lead loc is very easy to fit, its just like a compression fitting.
If you can, cut a small section of lead pipe work and bring to your local plumber merchant and they can give you the correct fitting.

Andy

Got the torch out and under the stopcock is a piece of copper then a grey looking bubble thing and then I presume lead. I rang a plumber that I have used before he said it had been wet wiped???, you can't do that anymore but he couldn't help anyway because he doesn't carry kit for lead!

Sounds like he doesn't want the job, sounds awkward doesn't carry kit for lead ?????

Ok your answer as long as you have enough of the lead below the soldered bulb showing and having nice bit of lead you can use a leadlock on you should be able to manage it ( just like a compression fitting )

you have a choice of leadlock tho thats where the main problem lies in the weight is it 6lb 0r 7lb (I have no idea) or if its 3/4 9lb

Have a proper look and make sure the leak isnt coming out of the stop tap itself.

Sponsored Links
Never think of replies like that.
I always assume people know but yes you are right Red

deffo not stopcock - wish it was. You can see it spraying out of the grey bit.

There is plenty of lead to get a compression fitting on but what do I cut it with and if I don't cut it straight (likely!!) can I file it?

You can file it yes, cut it straight as possible then use a file I know its easy but I am a plumber.

the amount of stuff that I've had to deal with after starting a little job in this house I'll have more experience then those on these overpriced courses :LOL:

A lot of my customers are the same its easy to try but easier to f*** up :LOL:

I've learnt loads on the 'theory' of stuff but if something does go wrong thats when it gets me, Hence why I read alot of posts on here about things going wrong - sad like that really

OK go for the 7lb leadlock if it feels loose when tightening cut 3 or 4mm of the brass ring and try again that is the only difference between the 2 just make sure when you tighten it feels like it will with hold mains pressure it does work I have done it :LOL:

By the way theory is Bo**ox experience is the way to learn
:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back