philips 20PF4121/05 tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a few years back we bought two of these tv's as 'HD Ready'. We have only today decided to have a V+ HD box installed, however, our tv's have dvi connection and the engineer only has hdmi cables. We have been out to purchase an adapter for dvi to hdmi and have spent the last hour or so trying in vain to get a picture on an hd channel. The box detects an hd tv but no matter what we try we can not get a picture. Before we ring virgin and get the engineer back is there anyone out there who could tell us if we are missing something. I am beginning to wonder if the tv's are even hd ready as was stated when we purchased them even if they do have all the relevant connections.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The TV seems to have a screen resolution of 640x480. That makes it a VGA resolution display.

On page 11 of the manual there's a table. The column headings are screen size & resolution combinations. Yours would seem to fit the " 20"/51cm VGA " category. Below that it lists the compatible modes: DVI will take 480p and 576p.

It looks like you'll have to set the Virgin box to 576p if you want to use the DVI connector. You can only go 720p via the analogue Component connection. I don't know if that's possible with the Virgin box?

Thanks for that, nothing is ever as straight forward as it should be. Not that it means a lot to me, not really into technology, V+ box is 720 and 1080?
Your info will help though and I will see how I get on.

I just had a quick look at a V+ box manual. As you say, it does seem like the only two HD picture options are 1080i and 720p.

Given that the TV doesn't support 1080i or 720p on the DVI connection, and that the TV's screen resolution is only 480p anyway, then you might be better off sticking with a SCART connection.

If your V+ box has the Component Video outputs then you could try that. Just be aware though, it seems that when the V+ boxes are set to HDMI/Component output that they switch off their SCART socket and aerial output connections. What this means is that you lose the picture on those sockets. If you still don't get a picture on the Philips via Component, then you'll need to know how to switch back even though you can't see the onscreen display.

RCA_sockets.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wow! You really confused me there, as I have to setup a V+ box with a HD ready TV in a few days..

I switched the V+ box over to an HD channel, and it gave a warning, but displayed properly, via scart.

But the person bought a cable for HD, and you say they won't be able to watch TV on 'normal' channels?

Confused. Especially as I've seen HD TV, and my CRT set is better quality anyway, NOT on HD. Bang & Ollufsen. Need say more?

Eh? I haven't got a clue who you're talking to or what you're trying to say! lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back