earth wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i got to fit a new dimmer switch brass one its says to put the earth onto the facia how do i do this all there is is a screw so do i put the wire in the hole and then screw or do i wrap it round the screw or something else please help :(

Sponsored Links
Wrap the earth core around the shaft of the screw then tighten screw, put a link of earth cable from this screw to the back box earth terminal aswel.

hi thanks for the reply but the earth wire is already attatched to the back box so what do i do and i dont know what you mean about link how can i have 2 bits of wire when there is only one please explain as im thick thanks

You'll need an extra piece of green/yellow sleeved wire. Form a screw sized loop on one end and clamp it under that screw head, just as you would if wiring some makes of mains plug. The other end goes into the back box terminal alongside the existing wire.

I'll pre-empt the inevitable question "Where do I get the piece of wire".

Your easiest option is to cannibalize a piece of three core mains flex. You only need a few inches.

Sponsored Links
I can just imagine, Sunday morning, into Q&B, collar Reg, "I need some 1mm^2 flex".
"Follow me sir,, now, how much do you require ?"
"Two inches please" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back