Bare rough plaster requiring painting - (I'm a newbie!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

This is my first time on this site so excuse my lack of terminology.

I have just stripped lining paper from my bedroom, which has been there since we bought the property.

Underneath it appears the walls have been plastered over plaster, as some of the newer layer has come off around places where screws have been used to put up curtain poles.

The original and new plaster appears to have never been painted or have any sort of coating applied. The last home owner literally papered the lining paper straight onto the plaster.

The plaster while flat and straight, has a very rough surface - not like newly skimmed walls i have seen in the past, and has minute tiny bubbles all over it, almost giving a sandpaper type finish.

When any holes are drilled into said layers the drill completely shreds the surrounding area and does not make a cylindrical hole!

My questions are:

1 - Is this plaster in good enough condition to paint over or do i need to get rid of it all? (As long as i never need to put any more wall fixings into it)

2 - Do i need to apply any sort of PVA or coatings before even applying the first coat of paint?

3 - is it ok to paper over this or does it also need paint before papering?

4 - Where there are cracks and missing areas small can i just use polycell?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone.

This is my first time on this site so excuse my lack of terminology.

I have just stripped lining paper from my bedroom, which has been there since we bought the property.

Underneath it appears the walls have been plastered over plaster, as some of the newer layer has come off around places where screws have been used to put up curtain poles.

The original and new plaster appears to have never been painted or have any sort of coating applied. The last home owner literally papered the lining paper straight onto the plaster.

The plaster while flat and straight, has a very rough surface - not like newly skimmed walls i have seen in the past, and has minute tiny bubbles all over it, almost giving a sandpaper type finish.

When any holes are drilled into said layers the drill completely shreds the surrounding area and does not make a cylindrical hole!

My questions are:

1 - Is this plaster in good enough condition to paint over or do i need to get rid of it all? (As long as i never need to put any more wall fixings into it)

2 - Do i need to apply any sort of PVA or coatings before even applying the first coat of paint?

3 - is it ok to paper over this or does it also need paint before papering?

4 - Where there are cracks and missing areas small can i just use polycell?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
hi sophie
if the plaster has a rough surface its not going to look very nice painted that is probably why he papered it, i wonder if the skim coat (plaster) has taken to the walls if it comes off that easy, does any of it sound hollow when you tap it? as for you question about polycell yes you could use that for minor cracks and repairs, and i suppose you could just paper over it,but that would be just papering over the cracks, if you could post some pics that would help us assess the condition of your walls a bit better, or i im in touch with a spread in birmingham i could ask him to come round and have a look

Hi thanks for your help.

The walls only sound hollow around places where the top coat has already fallen off, and this is only in two small areas above the window. Apart from that they are very solid.

The whole idea of me taking the paper off was to avoid having wall paper (except for a feature wall) as i have a cat who likes to claw and eat(!) the wallpaper.

I dont need it to look like a show home or anything i just want to paint it to a smooth finish and i dont want the new wallpaper to peel off like the old stuff was.

hello m8te if your in need of a plaster then id like too offer my serveses :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your help.

The walls only sound hollow around places where the top coat has already fallen off, and this is only in two small areas above the window. Apart from that they are very solid.

The whole idea of me taking the paper off was to avoid having wall paper (except for a feature wall) as i have a cat who likes to claw and eat(!) the wallpaper.

I dont need it to look like a show home or anything i just want to paint it to a smooth finish and i dont want the new wallpaper to peel off like the old stuff was.
well it sounds as if your not that to fussy if thats the case just fill the holes with some filler and paint it all, you have to lose is the price of a tin of paint , if its bare plaster just give it a couple of mist coats first 50-50 thats 50 water and 50 matt emultion if your the not happy with it then get a spread in to asses it

The rough texture may be the wall paper adhesive residue, have you tried to wash the walls with warm water and sugar soap, this may sort them out, then a quick fill and rub down and they would be ready for paint.

DONT use pva before paint, ever!!

The rough texture may be the wall paper adhesive residue, have you tried to wash the walls with warm water and sugar soap, this may sort them out, then a quick fill and rub down and they would be ready for paint.

I'm afraid there is no wallpaper residue, its definitely small sand-grain sized bubbles.

I am afraid if i wash it with anything the plaster will dissolve

I'm afraid there is no wallpaper residue, its definitely small sand-grain sized bubbles.

I am afraid if i wash it with anything the plaster will dissolve
call a couple of local spreads in and get there advice, it wont or shouldent cost you anything, then come back here and tell us what they have said, either that or send some pics in, its really hard to give a diagnosis from the info u have given

I can give a bit of a diagnosis - I had that strange pinholed plaster in my last house - looked like pumice stone - and also lumps falling off :eek: Never did find out exact reason but the whole estate - early 60`s - had the same problem by degrees . Maybe a bad batch of plaster/ hot weather / useless spreads. One room I did fill myself with " red devil ready mixed lightweight filler " to a reasonable effect - took time , which I have plenty of . ;) that filled the tiny holes very well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back