DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Advice on white render for outside wall (newbie alert!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenApe

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote

I'm a bit new round here but this looks like a really good forum so I'm hoping to get some advice on the following problem. At the bottom of our garden is quite a high brick wall the bottom half of which looks particularly untidy: its old, some of the mortar is lost from joints, and was obviously a quick job in the first place as the mortar finish is really bad.

So I want to tidy it up by covering a section up to about shoulder height in white render furthermore into part of this my girlfriend wants to make a pattern with bits of broken crockery. I've not really done anything like this before so I'm looking for a bit of guidance. I'm thinking that I need to put a concrete render on first to get everything flat and also to fill in the areas of missing mortar. Following this I'm thinking of a second coat of snowcrete and white sand (so that the finish is white), before this goes off we'll push the bits of crockery into it. Is this likely to work or am I miles off the mark?

Thanks!
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Micilin

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote

This will work.

Get washed , salt free, fine sharp, (3mm down) white sand.

You can check if it is indeed salt free (if you don't like tasting it!) by putting some in a cup of water, stirring it, pouring the water on a saucer and letting it evaporate. You'll see rings of salt left if it has not been washed properly.

IF you put water proofer in the 4:1 scratch coat, then you'll stop salts and oxides coming in through from the blockwork.

a 5:1:1: White Sand:Snowcrete: Lime mix for the top coat will give you a nice colour but guage this out with buckets to give you uniform shade.

The crockery wants to be washed and dried so that there is no dust on it.

Especially f it is glazed, it needs to get a little twist as you bed it in so that it it gripped by the render rather than just relying on the render sticking to it.

Be aware of sharp edges. Also consider filling any concave bits before you put them on , so that they are not hollow and hold water in behind - or are easy to break by getting a smack of ,say, a football or kids just trying to smash them.

Pic when finished please!
 Alert Moderators
troweladdict

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote

hello m8te iv done a big white rendering job back in southend i used white plastic bead i used soft sand/plastering sand with lime and snow crete white cement then a top coat was snow crete sand lime and white maisonary pain in the mix looks the **** but its cheeper and saves time just use webber m8te ill post a link
 Alert Moderators
troweladdict

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Alert Moderators
troweladdict

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote

cheeper then that just render it rub it up ans paint it
 Alert Moderators
GoldenApe

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote

Ah brilliant. Lots of info, thanks very much guys. I'll be sure to post some pictures when I'm done!
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: