panasonic surround sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
just bought a viera tv and looking for a surround sound to match looked at the sc pt 870 is this ok looks about mid range,also when scart leads and not hdmi cables is this a problem all new too me simple answers only please cheers daz

Sponsored Links
What are your priorities?

The Panasonic all-in-one kit is small, has a built in DVD player and gives you some convenience features.

A traditional AV amp and speaker kit might cost you the same, but you'll need to add a DVD player. It'll have better connectivity, better future-proofing and better sound quality. But the main box will be bigger and you won't have the Viera link, but it'll still let you play things on the TV if wired correctly.

So, what is it you really want?

We got the SC-PT150 to go with our TV and it was a mistake. It will not work with viera and although we can change TV channel and volume to DVD remote and turn TV on and off that is limit and TV remote will not work DVD at all.
We also found as we added Sky+, Hard/drive/DVD and VCR we ran out of SCART sockets and to have been able to use HDMI would have released a SCART socket to use with other items.
Our SC-PT150 only has one SCART socket plus Phone sound in and also to use you really need to view on TV so with record deck on top of it all in/out ports are used up so to record sound from it means swapping plugs.

I note the model you quote does have viera link and has HDMI connection so should be OK but we also have a problem with TV speakers the sound is just heard in the room with TV and very little carries to other rooms or next door but with surround sound with stereo running the noise carries to other rooms so is not used for TV any more.

Also this having to turn on TV to select a track on DVD is real pain and had we selected a true stand alone DVD players then we would have had a lot better display allowing us to use DVD with MP3's without having to turn on TV.

Sponsored Links
I to am interested in the panasonic viera - what is the viera link ?

the viera link is panasonics way of saying "your tv remote will also controll your dvd player" or "your dvdplayer remote will also do your surround sound"

its pretty handy if all your stuff is panasonic.

how much is it.

I try to push people away from all in one kits - as GENERALLY, unless you spend round the £800 mark, they are fairly poor in terms of quality, both design and sound -when compared to seperates.

I stopped myself from buying a all in one kit, saved up for a while, budgeted £1k, and bought by far the best system availible for that cost. Nobody has beaten it yet in terms of value for money....and lots have tried.

I bought : a sony STR-DG820 - 7.1 av receiver, 3xhdmi in, all the connections you'll ever need, optical, digi audio in...it goes on, 7x125Wrms. the latest eqivilent is still the same money
£199.99 richer sounds

4x Tannoy f4 custom floorstanders - £120 a set, + 50 for centre. = 290

1x Monolith subwoofer....the best of the sub £500 subs availible in the uk - £480

50m roll of speaker cable+interconnects = £30.

tv.JPG

Great setup for music, simply immense for movies. I get ripples in my toilet bowl upstairs.

Yummy though ...... it would give more than ripples in the upstairs toilet bowl.... ;)

I tried making brown noise with my system.....It'll do -3dB @22hz......all i ended up with was sore ears, a very scared dog, and a broken mirror ( fell of the wall, in another room.

how much is it.

I try to push people away from all in one kits - as GENERALLY, unless you spend round the £800 mark, they are fairly poor in terms of quality, both design and sound -when compared to seperates.

I stopped myself from buying a all in one kit, saved up for a while, budgeted £1k, and bought by far the best system availible for that cost. Nobody has beaten it yet in terms of value for money....and lots have tried.

I bought : a sony STR-DG820 - 7.1 av receiver, 3xhdmi in, all the connections you'll ever need, optical, digi audio in...it goes on, 7x125Wrms. the latest eqivilent is still the same money
£199.99 richer sounds

4x Tannoy f4 custom floorstanders - £120 a set, + 50 for centre. = 290

1x Monolith subwoofer....the best of the sub £500 subs availible in the uk - £480

50m roll of speaker cable+interconnects = £30.

tv.JPG

Great setup for music, simply immense for movies. I get ripples in my toilet bowl upstairs.

Normal TV sound is subdued, DVD action is MAD!!! from surround sound..

But that getup there, is doing nothing, apart from pulling apart the degaus action of your TV, those speakers shouldn't be so close to the screen, their magnetic coils will break the TV!

If someone rings a doorbell in Coronation street, I'm up answering the door, but DVD has the better quality sound.

Edit - I don't see a sub? Is the sub ON TOP of the TV? Needs to be on the floor..BAD setup.

Thats the centre speaker on top of the TV.

Subs can be anywhere in the room (sound at that level is omni directional - though some manufacturers disagree) and do not neccasarily have to be on the floor.

Speakers only cause problems with CRT Tvs - that is an LCD -no magnets pulling at photons therefore no problems. Also, some speakers were shielded to prevent the problem.

yeah, its a centre speaker, its where most of the dialouge comes from. Its raised for 3 reasons, firstly its easy to put it there, secondly, it looks better, and third, it SOUNDS better, due to less reflected sound from the solid wood flooring.

And yes, there is a subwoofer, out of picture. A Bk monolith, simply put, the best subwoofer availible for less than a grand. !

But that getup there, is doing nothing, apart from pulling apart the degaus action of your TV, those speakers shouldn't be so close to the screen, their magnetic coils will break the TV!
Plasmas and LCDs aren't affected by magnetic fields in the same way as CRTs, and they don't need degauss circuits; so speaker magnets aren't a problem...

...their magnetic coils will break the TV!
And the vast majority of AV speakers are magnetically shielded, so if the display was a CRT (which it isn't) then the proximity of the speaker magnets still wouldn't be a problem

Edit - I don't see a sub? Is the sub ON TOP of the TV? Needs to be on the floor..BAD setup.
???? :confused: Are you on drugs :confused: That's a centre speaker.

EDIT: I see ninjacat already made the above points too. I bet he, like me, couldn't believe someone could so naive as to make the basic errors as demonstrated in Mickymoody's post.

i did consider a post about the basics - but decided against it.

someone who mistakes 2 4 inch drivers, and a silk cone tweeter for a subwoofer shouldn't be playing with AV. ever.

anyway, for those that are interested, here's the rest of the setup.

Rears, also Tannoy F4 customs in apple.
5.JPG

The working end of a BK monolith

9.JPG

10.JPG

F4 performance

f41.jpg

And monolith performance - a -3dB drop at 20HZ ( True, in room response) is virtually unheard of in production subwoofers under £1k....And a monolith is less than £500. and made in the UK.
6.jpg
[/list]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back