What grade lining paper to use on newly skimmed plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just had about 70% of the house re-skimmed with new plaster and before painting on the emulsion I want to get all walls of the house covered in lining paper. Main reason for doing so is to prevent thin cracks which tend to appear in the new plaster being noticeable.

I am happy with the quality of the final skim but as I live in an old Victorian terrace on a busy main road, the combination of an old creaky house and vibrations from HGV's outside is not ideal.

Having looked at lining paper at Wickes I am not sure which grade to go for (800, 1000 or 1700)? Cost is not really an issue as my main aim is to get the best finish and durability possible. At the moment I am leaning towards the 1000 grade. Will this be okay or should I get the 800 / 1700 instead?

Regards

Sponsored Links
What a waste of time & money :confused: why didn’t you leave the walls as they were & just bodge it with the heaviest grade lining paper you could find. Providing existing cracks were properly repaired, the walls were correctly prepped & your plasterer was any good there is absolutely no reason why it should crack; thin cracks only “tend to appear in new plaster” if the walls are on the move or it’s not been done correctly. If you’re happy with the quality of the finish why not at least give it a chance & decorate as is & if cracks appear because of local conditions, line it next time around; then move!

To stick lining paper over a newly plastered wall is, IMO, sacrilege & an insult to the spread that did the work; it will never look as good as a good or be as durable as a plaster finish.

Richard C..... having taken your advice I've just totally disregarded the lining paper idea!!! The key point being you've made me realise that lining paper will never be as durable as paint on plaster. With little nippers running around I would no longer be able to use a damp sponge/cloth to remove hand marks off lining paper.

Got the builders putting the mist coat on the plaster work as I type.

I'm so glad I posted.....you've just saved me a lot of money!!

Good man

Sorry if I was a bit blunt but, as a spread, it makes me cringe when I hear the words “lining paper”; in fact if I knew someone was going to put it over my work I would probably refuse the job!

Mist coats; ordinary matt white thinned 25-30%, 2/3 coats in quick succession, dry overnight then fill any imperfections (if your spread was good, it’s unlikely there will be any), re-prime & dry, then your chosen paint finish. ;)

Sponsored Links
Glad you were a tad abrupt with your reply ;) Really made me think twice about why I was putting the lining paper in the first place. Basically a friend of my other half's had it done so we just sort of went along with the idea.

In the cold light of day however, the spread has done such a good job it would be a shame to hide it. Plus our hallway is heavily used with pushchairs, shopping, golf kits & suitcases regularly brushed against the walls. Now I think about it, it would be a nightmare to repair a rip in the paper :oops:

As the saying goes....alls well that ends well !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back