Gas flue - noise - draught

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I should be here or in the roof section but here goes.

I rent and after a protracted saga we have a new gas fire with a retro filtted flue liner (5 inch). It's a stone built terrace with 4 flues in one brick chimney breast (2 of ours and 2 from next door) but each of us only has 1 fire in use. The cowl looks like a WWII tin hat with a couple of discs below it.

Since fitting the flue liner and cowl the wind noise has become phenomenal - to watch TV we sometimes have to put volume up to 20 rather than the normal 12-14. There is also some draught down the chimney. Rain on the cowl is also noisy and our neighbours have commented on both the wind and rain noise affecting them.

The landlord haas stated that there is nothing that can be done to reduce the noise levels as the cowl and liner all came in one set and can't be changed.

My query is as to whether an "anti-down-draught" cowl would reduce the wind noise or just the draught; and then whether it is possible to fit one to a system that all came together? My view is yes to both but not being an expert I was hoping for some clarification.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A pic or too would help of the termination plus make/model of fire before i can comment

Thanks for the response - sorry for the delay.

I have attached 2 photos - one of the fire - it's an open gas fire and not sure of make / model as cant actually get to any identifying features on it

The other photo is of the chimney / flue and the cowl.

Added by mod:

Can you explain exactly which part(s) of the fire was fitted recently?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The story is as follows:
In Oct 2008 we moved in and the fire had a clean bill of health and passed as safe.
In Oct 2009 annual check revealed failure due to no flue liner, inadequate ventilation and broken matrix (?) of the gas fire. Despite the fire being in exactly the same condition as the previous year. The actual fire was removed and the gas supply to it cut off. This left us with a bit of a cold living room for the winter!
In April 2010 we had a new fire fitted and a liner and cowl fitted which was tested and passed the various safety checks. However, ever since then there has been an increased draught down the chimney and significant increase to the noise of rain and wind - to the point that even the nexy door neighbours have complained. I feel that the cowl and flue liner have created a funnel for the wind and amplify it through the chimney stack but have been told by the landlord that this is nothing that can be altered.

I normally disconnect 95% of those fires too! Most are in a terrible condition and poorly installed. They are often only 20% efficient (or even less) so it's cheaper and much safer to use an electric fire. Is that the only form of heating in the living room?

I'd like to know how the liner was fitted at the base of the flue...was the cast register grate removed?

I suspect the liner runs to the top of the chimney pot and connects directly onto the terminal.

One option is to remove the chimney pot, use a support plate to hold up the liner, refit the pot and use a clay chimney pot insert (that complies with the regs). This may help lessen the noise but liners often rattle around in high wind areas.

I hope you have a proper battery installed carbon monoxide alarm with that fire.

I'm no expert on how the liner was fitted at the base but it doesn't appear to fix directly to the fire or surround. The liner drops down the chinmey and then there is lots of what appears to be filler closing off between the opening at the back of the fire place and the liner - does that make sense?

Given the noise I would suspect that the liner and the terminal / cowl are directly connected which would exacerbate the noise, but we have been told (possibly wrongly) that there is no alternative.

Would it be possible to fit an anti-downdraught cowl, clay insert and support plate combination?

Following our concerns we have got a CO monitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back