Adding a spur to a ring for 4 double sockets in a loft room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to add a spur to the upstairs ring of my house to provide power to the loft room (four double sockets).

From reading various posts on here it would seem the correct way to do this is to take a spur from the ring (will have to be via a junction box) then through a 13A FCU and on to the four double sockets.

Could someone confirm that this is correct, or let me know if I need to change this plan?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Acceptable provided the junction box remains accessible (not hidden under floorboards or in the wall)

More importantly, it means that the total load for the 4x double sockets cannot exceed 13A. While this is allowed, it is a rubbish design.

Extending the ring is a far better option.

Sponsored Links
Is this a new loft conversion?

If a pre-existing one why does it not have any electrics in it already?

If you, or someone else, has just boarded it out to make a "room" rather than doing a proper loft conversion then it may have contravened building regulations, but far more importantly it may have created a big danger - the ceiling timbers under the loft floor are not designed to take the load of a room above, and you could suffer a serious collapse. If nothing else please get some competent structural advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back