wiring 3 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to rewire my kitchen,dining and hall lights back to socket with 3 switches on it.i have 2 lots of red,yellow and blue,and 1 cable with red,black and earth.i did make a drawing of where they connected but have lost it!!!! help

Sponsored Links
From the information you have supplied it appears you have a 3 gang switch plate. The three switches I assume are all of the 2 way type but it would appear one of them is being used in a 1 way mode and the other two in 2 way mode. This assumption is based on the two lots of red,yellow and blue and one lot of black and red. Can you confirm that two of your lights are also under the control of other switches.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And when doing so open up (but do not disconnect) and record the wiring at the switches forming the other half of the circuit, the use of the colours at that end will need to be checked, as there is more than one correct way to wire a 2 way switch. Basically you are looking for which colours are L1/L2 and which is the odd one out 'common'. Have a look at the diagrams in "for refererence" at the top, and see if it might have been two lots of one of those, plus one conventional switch.
Most likly the red/black is the odd one out, and the other 2 are one or other form of 2 way control, but it is possible that a live link accross the back might be required.
regards M.

to MANDATE yes 2 of my lights work off other switches

Sponsored Links
The switch used in the 1 way mode should be 'red' to com and 'black'to L1. This black is not a neutral, it is known as a switched live and should have a red sleeve or flag to identify it as such.
Each of the other two switches should use the 3 wires in 'com' 'L1' and 'L2. to match the same terminals in use on the other controlling switches. Eg 'red' should go from com to com. 'yellow should go from L1 to L1 and 'blue should go from L2 to L2. This is the accepted scheme, but you can check the other controlling switch to make sure. Again the wires that are not red should have red sleeves.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To Mandate just wired my switch,i now have lights thanks a lot for your help. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back