fitting banisters to half cut string, half base rail..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing bannisters on our stairs - previously there were horrid metal ones screwed into the stairs.

The problem is the stairs are cut string - no base rail, but have a board that has been added along the side where I'd expect the treads to continue with a mitre.

Means that as far as I can see, if I fgitted normally without this board, I'll have the spindles on the edge of the steps, and if I keep the board it'll be in the way of teh spindles / look dreadfull. Have a young active kid too, so expecting these bannisters to need to stand up to plenty of climbing etc oin years to come!

Here are some pics that hopefully show the issue more clearly. From what I can see I have 2 options:
1 - fit a base rail and insert wood to plug the gaps.
2 - nail on rounded pieces of wood onto the edge of each step (probably take a while, but think it'll look better)

any advice much appreciated![/img]

Sponsored Links
Hey,

sorry I don't think im about to post anything very useful, but my house has almost the same problem.

In my case the open string steps have been completey removed and replaced with poorly made treads and risers, and a 20mm thick board stuck on the side. Only the top (landing) and bottom steps are original victorian.

The newel has been cut off at the base so there is nothing to attach a banister to.

I think maybe in your case you have enough of the original there to fit a banister and spindles to. Maybe widen the board and fit a bottom rail to it.

Im looking to repair/replace my entire staircase to look more like the original.

yeah - did think about just replacing the treads, but as they are originals and decent condition that seemed like a lot more work than I need.

Think I will probably try and make a rounded piece to nail into the side of the treads and then attach spindles as you would for a traditional cut string
If anyone has any experience of doing that (or experience to know NOT to do that..) please let me know!

Good luck with yours JJ75

Sponsored Links
Thanks, good luck to yourself also, will be interested to hear how you tackle it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back