Window Sill...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I'm in the middle of refitting our entire bathroom.
Previously the window alcove had tiles across the bottom, top and sides, but what I'd quite like to do is rather than fitting tiles across the bottom, instead fit a marble / marble effect sill, (so that it is one continuous piece, rather than lots of seperate tiles with grout which will then get various bottles etc stood on it.

The problem is I can't find anywhere that seems to do these sills. I can buy worktop (which is obviously too massive and thick), or I can buy tiles, but no sill.

Where should I be looking to get this as I am obviously looking in all the wrong places! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
have you looked into buying a large format tile in marble?..they come in BIG sizes... 800mm 1000mm etc...again depends on the width/height your looking for,as jc has already asked you..think i may have beatin him with the reply... ;)

Sponsored Links
you could also get ceramic tiles with the marble effect in large format,if price is an issue..

Even if you have to use more than one tile, simply fill the joint with an over the counter Epoxy and sand down with wet and dry paper. I Recommend mapei kerapoxy. I personally feel that a tile is a little thin on a window sill. A stone mason is your best bet and will be reasonable provided he doesn't have to come out to template. Take the measurements to him, select your stone then go back to pick up, this will save you a lot of money.

Even if you have to use more than one tile, simply fill the joint with an over the counter Epoxy and sand down with wet and dry paper. I Recommend mapei kerapoxy. I personally feel that a tile is a little thin on a window sill. A stone mason is your best bet and will be reasonable provided he doesn't have to come out to template. Take the measurements to him, select your stone then go back to pick up, this will save you a lot of money.

just out of interest...tile on a widow sill not much weight on it..(toothbrush or 2/air freshener/plastic flower..cudlley bear..etc... ;) ..)...so how thin/thick would you advise...

just been upstairs for a..colin nish..there mate..(am poor, dont have a downstairs wc.. :LOL: )... ;)

got 2 beanstalk plants (sons school project)...nail cliipers/the wifes brush(messy git)/air freshener(defo need that)...thats about it...no bricks/breeze block/..etc... ;)

I think 20mm is about right, purely for visual reasons, but you could go up to 30mm which is approx what bathroom worktops are.

so we are moving from sills to bathroom worktops now?..

so let me get this straight. you will only tile a window sill to the same thickness of a b/room w/top...?..or have i picked you up wrong ere..

The OP wants a piece of marble or something to put across his window sill that is one complete piece. I am suggesting that a tile would look crap so he should see a stone mason and get a thicker piece and I am also suggesting that he could go up to 30mm thick as I don't think it would look out of place as that is what bathroom worktops are.

just popped out for a cig there...

when ur building a sill with..wat 12.5mm b/board or p/boaord(tanked in your case..belt n braces..)..then addy/tile,there aint much in it.

for high end clients then i use blyth marble,for bullnose etc..

well you have suggested a stone mason,i have just gave the OP an other option he could look into.

The op wants a sill instead of tiles. It would look better if it was at least 20mm thick and also have an overhang, it has nothing to do with what you are contructing the substrate out of or adhesive bed.

I had 2 x 800mm x 150mm and a window sill made up recently from poliched trav 20mm thick, it was £150 (to the OP)

well you have suggested a stone mason,i have just gave the OP an other option he could look into.

yes, I understand and your method would work fine also but would look exactly how it is made, like someone has plonked a tile onto the window sill, acceptible but a compromise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back