Ceiling speaker wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does this have to be a specific type to pass regs or can any speaker wire do?

Thx

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if I understand the question?

From a BR point of view, the most important thing is to not make the fire resistance any worse by putting holes into the ceiling for wires/services, etc...

But if you're talking about from a material point of view, then as far as I'm aware, no there isn't anything governing speaker wires as such. Providing they are adequate for the job and the loads aren't exceeded, then no problems.

Any new electrical work would have to be carried out in accordance with Part P.

Well, yes there will be more holes in the ceiling, but that's a must if I want ceiling speakers, so not sure how that rule justifies itself? I was asking if the wire had to be of a certain standard (I presumed not).

What's part P?

Thx

Well, yes there will be more holes in the ceiling, but that's a must if I want ceiling speakers, so not sure how that rule justifies itself?
Yes but the holes can be filled afterwards to ensure spread of flame / smoke is minimised.

I was asking if the wire had to be of a certain standard (I presumed not).
All materials should be "fit for purpose" from a BRegs POV.

What's part P?
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...gs/technicalguidance/bcelectricalsafetypartp/
Thank your lucky stars you didn't ask that on electrics UK. They would have torn you limb from limb like a pack of baying wolves :LOL:

Sponsored Links
But the holes won't be filled cos speakers will be inserted into them?? Sorry, am I missing something?

If you puncture any holes through a fire resisting barrier (e.g. ceiling), you have interfered with its fire resistance and so those holes need to be fire resisted, which can be done via a number of ways. Whatever services are put into/through these holes, they'll never fit perfectly and the spread of smoke (more than flame) will find its way through the easiest/weakest point, which will be through the newly formed penetrations. For example, if a SVP was serving multiple flats over multiple floors, at each junction with the floor, a fire resisting collar will need to be provded, which would fit snug around the pipe at floor level and thus maintaining a continued fire resistance.

I assume that this is for flush mounting ceiling speakers. If so, all manufacturers supply fire domes. If its not a domestic building then you can get fire resistant loudspeaker cable. (Canford audio is one supplier)

Points taken re smoke getting thru gaps etc (in this world of red tape!) but what about spot lights then, that the same? What about the smoke detectors themselves - every hole is a problem then, surely, seems a bit OTT! I do all my own wiring, very capable of it, not saying I'm an electrician, but a very capable DIYer - plumbing's the same, it's actually very easy, never had a problem in 10 yrs, but if everything has to be approved, how do I do work myself - I'm sure lots of people are the same, I mean, would an electrician be called out to add a plug socket?

what about spot lights then, that the same?

Yes, exactly the same. Fire resistance is there for a reason. Fire resisting "top hats" are fitted to spotlights/downlighters were fire resistance is to be maintained. You'll find that requirement under Part B of the Building Regulations/Approved Documents.

fire-rated-downlight.jpg

how do I do work myself

If the person is registered, then they can certify/approve the works themselves. If not, then they will have to submit a building regulation application...

Where electrical installation work in dwellings is carried out by an installer registered with an authorised Part P competent person scheme (see Schedule 2A of the Building Regulations 2000, as amended), there is no requirement to submit a building notice or full plans to the local authority.

That's an extract taken from the Communities and Local Government website. There is loads of information on the internet. Have a read of Part P...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/Pp...gportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

would an electrician be called out to add a plug socket?

You will have to refer to Part P and other literature that stipulates to what extent electrical works need to be carried out by a registered installer or when a building regulation application needs to be submitted as I can't remember off the top of my head.

get your building passed off THEN put the speakers in, thats what i am doing

But it's easier for me to put the wires in while the ceiling's down and b4 the decor...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back