Shed Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to extend a fixed electric supply to my shed. Preferably myself, (yes, i know this is unwise, but i need it powered, and i cannot afford a sparky. So if i'm going to do it, i'd rather do it with your guys experience and advice.)

Plan so far:

*Shed is 4 meters away from side house wall

*Other side of wall (in house) is a 2-plug socket fitted with a trip (only used for a standing lamp)

*Was planning to take socket off of wall, drill straight through from behind the socket to outside

*Thread the cable through, wire it to the circuit feeding that socket.

*Seal the hole with liberal amounts of silicon/mastic/filler at both ends

*Replace socket

*Run cable down side of house to ground (bout 1/2 meter)

*Thread it through some 1" conduit pipe

*Bury conduit and cable a foot into the ground

*Thread up through the shed floor

*Attach to a 30A fusebox of some sort mounted at ceiling level

*Wire in 2 permanent light fittings (normal bulbs not tubes)

*Wire in 2 separate 2-plug sockets

*Will be running waist height freezer constantly and occasional
lawnmower, drills, jigsaws etc.

So, i have many questions.

Apart from the obvious, doing it myself, what flaws are there in my current method?

What core and mm cable do i need?

What kind of box do i need for the shed (since i am running a light circuit and sockets i assume i will need one with at least 2 breakers/fuses fitted with different amperes)?

Many thanks for your time guys.

Sponsored Links
I wish to extend a fixed electric supply to my shed. Preferably myself, (yes, i know this is unwise, but i need it powered, and i cannot afford a sparky. So if i'm going to do it, i'd rather do it with your guys experience and advice.)

Plan so far:

*Shed is 4 meters away from side house wall

*Other side of wall (in house) is a 2-plug socket fitted with a trip (only used for a standing lamp)

*Was planning to take socket off of wall, drill straight through from behind the socket to outside
This would depend on how socket is already supplied but likely you will need a RCD FCU (RCD Fused connection Unit)
*Thread the cable through, wire it to the circuit feeding that socket.
If using SWA will need gland etc.
*Seal the hole with liberal amounts of silicon/mastic/filler at both ends

*Replace socket

*Run cable down side of house to ground (bout 1/2 meter)

*Thread it through some 1" conduit pipe
Better to use steel wire armoured cable
*Bury conduit and cable a foot into the ground

*Thread up through the shed floor

*Attach to a 30A fusebox of some sort mounted at ceiling level
If already fused to 13A with FCU not required just another switched FCU to fuse down to 5 amp for lights
*Wire in 2 permanent light fittings (normal bulbs not tubes)

*Wire in 2 separate 2-plug sockets
Not unless already used FCU not permitted spur from spur
*Will be running waist height freezer constantly and occasional
lawnmower, drills, jigsaws etc.

So, i have many questions.

Apart from the obvious, doing it myself, what flaws are there in my current method?

What core and mm cable do i need?

What kind of box do i need for the shed (since i am running a light circuit and sockets i assume i will need one with at least 2 breakers/fuses fitted with different amperes)?

Many thanks for your time guys.
You must remember Part P and likely it will cost more to DIY than get an electrician. At £100+ fee to LABC plus £70 hire for 17th Edition test kit and that's min I would expect you can get job done by Electrician cheaper than DIY.

As you're coming off a socket, you need to fuse this to 13 amps.

So theres no point to a 30 amp fusebox or whatever in the shed. You're limited to 13 amps.

You cant run twin and earth through conduit INSTEAD of using SWA.

SWA is really the only DIY option, and it MUST be buried 18 inch deep (or fixed to a wall or very sturdy fence), and MUST be glanded at both ends and the glands earthed with banjos.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back