Rear gate and fencing - anchoring posts query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to sort out my rear fencing and rear gate (backs onto an alley way) - built by previous owner.

Attaching a pic to assist people's understanding:

What I'm giving some thought to is the rear gate and platform and how to attach posts etc (the back gate left post as you look at it is rotten through and no longer in the ground). I want to put the posts in a slightly different location and fit a small side access door.

I've seen a couple of ways of anchoring, firstly just cementing in the posts which will involve creating large holes in the concrete so I was investigating alternatives that may be easier or provide additional support or reduce the chance of rotting.

I've seen cement in a support LINK which will raise the post off the platform (hopefully prevent further rot) or another one which use a bolt down post LINK which is likely to be the easiest solution.

Having not used these supports before, I'm concerned that the bolt down will provide adequate support for such a structure so I would appreciate people's opinions and experiences on that.

I'm also concerned about the level of support provided by the raised type anchor base being sufficient.

Also are there any other obvious solutions which I may be missing?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
You could use concrete post and avoid rot completely if thats your main worry.

Avoiding rot is part the worry.

Aesthetics is also important so a more discrete anchor would be preferable, however, if its a case of a more aesthetic anchor which has a 50% chance of falling down, then I would go for the less aesthetic concrete post which has much lower chance of falling down!

As I'm thinking of modifying the fence - want to put in side entry and really would like to widen the fence was willing to investigate a bit of an overhall on moving the posts altogether.

Sponsored Links
I changed my gates for a 70/30 split with a bi-fold on the larger side , that way I can use the narrow gate for general access without opening up the entire gate way.

I changed my gates for a 70/30 split with a bi-fold on the larger side , that way I can use the narrow gate for general access without opening up the entire gate way.

That is a good idea, have you got a picture - did you make or get your gates from somewhere in particular?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back