Leaking Salamander pump & hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Salamander RSP100 shower pump. For 7 years it has worked fine and nothing has changed in the meantime. I have noticed a slight leak from the hot side which appears to indicate a seal has failed.

The Salamander website suggests a leak could be the result of water too hot ie no more than 65c. When I check the boiler, the thermostat setting has always beeb about 5.5 which I guess is about 80c which I believe is "normal". I don't think I have another way of controlling the temperature of the stored water in the cylinder. So question 1 ... does this mean the stored water will be around 80c ?? or will it be something lower ?? (if I had a thermometer handy I guess I could test it at a tap.
Question 2 ... is it worth messing with a Salamander pump 7 years old, or should I go for a new one ?

Sponsored Links
OK - It did not take much for me to spot the temerature control set to 60-65c stuck right on the front of the cylinder. Not something I usually take any notice of. So the only other question is about whether it iw worth fixing the leaking pump - assuming I can get a new seal or O ring, or whatever it needs .....

Any thoughts ?

The reason why one should not be storing water at a temp above 65 degs c is because the pump can cause the water to boil , water will boill at 100 degs C at atmospheric pressure , imcrease atmospheris pressure & the boiling point temp increases , decrease atmospheric pressure & the boiling point lowers , the inlet of a shower pump has a negative pressure ( sucks) hence the reason for Salamanders 65 deg stored hot water advice !!

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both.

I have already emailed Salamander about parts and am waiting to hear. In the meantime I was wondering if anyone would say that as it is 7 years old then don't bother trying to fix it. That has not happened so I will go ahead.

The pump sucking is interesting.
Another reason to avoid water too hot is apparently that the plastic part can warp thereby causing leaks.

Anyway, I just have a slight seeping, white deposit on the joint and signs of a damp patch where it is standing.

I hope to fix it and keep it running for year to come. I will let you know what actually happens ... (originally I spoke to Salamander on the phone and they seemed more interested in selling me another pump than checking whether they had the parts ...) :eek:

Salamanders aren't too forgiving of minor installation deficiencies, and are inclined to overheat/distort/leak.
Usual culprit is the inlet pipework being too restrictive.
I'd recommend you get hold of an old-style feed and expansion (heating) tank ( a few pounds) and cut round it a few inches up and use that as a tray for the pump to sit in, so any leaks are contained.

For that "boiling" thing, do a search on "cavitation".

Salamander did not call me back despite promises, so I called them again today. It was confirmed to me that they do not keep spares for pumps manufactured before 2006 ! So they try to extract more money from customers by persuading them to buy new pumps.

I have just spoken to Stuart Turner - they support pumps over 20 years old - that is what I expect.

I currently have a Salamander RSP 100 twin - 3 bar pump

If I changed to Stuart Turner, the equivalent would be a Monsoon Standard 3 bar Twin. Any thoughts on this particular pump ? How do they compare ? Is it noisier than my Salamander ?

Any information gratefully received

After complaining to Salamander, it appears that the do have the spares I need after all !

They have sent me a set (large O rings, a couple of clips and a spring thing) for each end - complete with instructions.

Apparently, the 2 separate people at Salamander I had spoken to previously "had been mis-informed"...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back