Ceiling speaker wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How does x4 speakers wire up? Do they hop from one to the other in line, or do you run a separate wire to each speaker? Is there any particular recommendation for a mid range wire (it's for a kitchen, not a night club, so not after A1 clarity!)

thx

Sponsored Links
you need to check the individual system but if its true 4 way you will need 4 leads
or if its still the same 1 comon and 4 singles but obviously few locations benefit from a comon wire

Wire them all back individually to your amplifier - there is no point in risking any other strategy.

What power rating are the speakers and how long will the cables be - that will determine what size you need to use.

No different to power cables in that regard.

I normally use this. You're probably going to just need the 0.75mm stuff.

Not sure on size of speakers yet, as said it's in a kitchen so with the usual clutter and extractor hood usually in operation, sound is never going to be optimum, just want a half decent set that are the equivalent of a 500 quid mini hi-fi if that helps? Any suggestions on brands? The wires will be approx (if all going to amp): 4m, 6m, 4m & 8m.

Sponsored Links
If you're only using a stereo amp then there is no need to wire each speaker back individually to the amplifier. It would be easier to wire them in pairs and have 2x 2-core cables returning to the amp, although if there is ever any possibility that you might want to control each speaker individually then now would be the time to run in separate wiring for each one.

Unless you know right now what speakers and amp you're going to be using, it's hard to advise further. For example, if you purchase an amplifier with only two outputs (left and right) then the minimum recommended loading on the amp and the impedance of the speakers will dictate whether you'll need to wire them in series or parallel.

Brand-wise, I expect you'd be able to pick up a pretty decent set of KEF or B&W coaxials on eBay for your £500 budget, assuming that doesn't include an amp. In fact, there's a pair of KEF ceiling speakers on there right now that would probably provide more that enough coverage for even a relatively large kitchen. Not sure why you think you need four speakers?

FWIW, a mate of mine did something similar in his kitchen and only paid £150 for a pair of speakers, and they sound pretty good.

EDIT: Here you go > KEF ceiling speakers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Was advised to have x4 from a retailer - size of kitchen is 45m2.

If you google QED your find one of these:-

SS40-550.jpg

That allows you to have 4 x sets of speakers and requires runs from every speaker back. Good thing is you have control on/off for each set, so you can run any from 1 to all x4

I'd run all cables back, I take it yours will be a standard hifi via 4 or 8 ohm rather than speaker that could be run as a daisy chain via 100v PA style amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back