Potterton Lynx electronic not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was having a lovely hot shower this morning, turned off taps. The missus went in a few minutes later and complained of no hot water went to check boiler and find that neither CH or HW working all of a sudden. No lights although can hear faint whirring when I switch on taps or switch CH to constant bot boiler not firing up. I have only recently had a new diverter valve fitted maybe 4 weeks ago and all has been fine until today. Any help much appreciated. I know The Potterton Lynx electronic is old but we are moving soon and I could really do without having to replace boiler as new owners will probably be stripping out and fitting new kitchen anyway. :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
check the fuse if no lights :idea:

Hi

Ive got the same problem. I have a Potterton Lynx Electronic. I havent had any work done to it since i moved into the flat 1.5 yrs ago. Yesterday out of the blue the boiler just didnt work. Was totally fine the day before. No lights or ignition. I can hear the boiler whirring very quietly when i switch CH on - but no lights or ignition. Checked the fuse in a lamp and its fine...any other solutions? Ive recently been bleeding a radiator that sits directly next to the boiler. It took about 2 weeks with the valve open on the rad, for any water to finally come out of the radiator valve. It still hisses when i release the valve and air is still coming out. Would this have had any effect on the boiler? Please help!!!!

most probably one of the pcbs has gone check for water leaks as they are very often the cause of the printed circuit board going ;)

Sponsored Links
gazthepottertonengineer said:
most probably one of the pcbs has gone check for water leaks as they are very often the cause of the printed circuit board going ;)

I've often found that applying electricity is often the cause of a lynx board going tits up.

ollski said:
gazthepottertonengineer said:

I've often found that applying electricity is often the cause of a lynx board going **** up.

very good thats why there are obviosly some still out there going strong 20 years on ;)

Check the transformer if there are no lights atall but you are getting power to your pump the low voltage side of the transformer may be fooked...

Hmmm could also be the thriving business of reconditioned lynx boards. Surely the worst electronics ever.

LYNX mk 1...what a boiler!

LYNX mk 2. What a piece of camels dung.

Diverters are a nightmare.

The fact that potterton improved with the puma is a testament to how bad the lynx 2 was.

At least potty puma's have the wax capsule, even if you cant ever get on one connection to replace the whole diverter if required.

David

I always thought the Lynx I was a pretty good design. Just a few leaks!

The LynxII was an even better design with a good PCB.

They took a backward step with the Puma though!

I have taken delivery of a Potty Envoy for disection. That will be an interesting example of how NOT to design a boiler. Does anyone know how to remove the HE assembly easily ?

Tony

ollski said:
Hmmm could also be the thriving business of reconditioned lynx boards. Surely the worst electronics ever.

You've never heard of the Suprima then !

raden said:
ollski said:

You've never heard of the Suprima then !

i think we have been there a thousand times on this site already mate just do a search for suprima :rolleyes:

ill let you off as you are a newbie ;)

You've never heard of the Suprima then ![/quote]

i think we have been there a thousand times on this site already mate just do a search for suprima

and I've prolly seen more Suprima pcbs than you've had hot dinners

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back