Extending an RCD protected bathroom circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hopefully this will be a fairly simple and straight forward one for you!

Our lighting circuits (up and down) currently do not have a cpc and are in need of a rewire.

Earlier this year we had a new feed (RCD protected on a previously unused 6amp MCB using 1.5mm) ran into the 1st floor bathroom whilst renovating it, which powers the lights (2 x wall and ceiling), shaver socket and extractor fan.

When I asked a local electrician to quote for the re-wire last week he told me that he couldn't extend the circuit into the bathroom to include the rest of the upstairs lighting (landing and 3 bedrooms all with 1 x ceiling pendant only) and that he would have to run a seperate feed to these rooms as well as a new feed for the downstairs rooms.

I understand the new feed for downstairs, however is there anything from a regs or best practice point of view that would prevent using the circuit into the bathroom for the rest of the upper floors?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The should be no problem doing that. Assuming:

The circuit has a cpc and is RCD protected. If the load was low enough you could extend that one circuit for the whole house.

The should be no problem doing that. Assuming:

The circuit has a cpc and is RCD protected. If the load was low enough you could extend that one circuit for the whole house.

Seconded, Alot of houses have upstairs/downstairs split lighting including bathroom in the upstairs circuit, and unless you live in buckingham palace i very much doubt you will overload the fuse with a few light fittings.

Sponsored Links
Get another electrician around, infact I would advise anyone to get three quotes as a minimum, and reccomended people are usually (but not always) a better bet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back