Slipping Polycarbonate roof sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a brick Utility Room with timber rafters supporting a polycarbonate sheet roof. The sheets are 25 mm thick and are 1 metre by 3 metres. The roof has a 15 degree pitch and the sheets are held by the usual plastic capping on aluminium glazing bars secured to the wood. The sheets sit on the usual rubber seals.The sheets slip in the hot weather anything up to 5 cm. I can push them back into place with a bit of effort but it all happens again every week or so.The capping strip is pushed down as hard as it will go but the problem persists. I see that you can get "button" screw fittings so I wonder if I shoud lift the flashing at the top and put in a couple of these fastenings into each sheet into the purlin that supports the sheets at the top. My worry is that the pull of the sheets on these button fixings might cause the sheet to split. Has anyone any experience of this sort of problem - any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
so I wonder if I shoud lift the flashing at the top and put in a couple of these fastenings into each sheet into the purlin that supports the sheets at the top. My worry is that the pull of the sheets on these button fixings might cause the sheet to split. Has anyone any experience of this sort of problem - any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Good idea. :idea:

The sheets won't pull hard enough to split the sheet.

Make sure you get 25mm fixing buttons not universal ones. Where in West Mids? I can tell you a supplier.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back