Outdoor socket advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice and expect to be mocked for general lack of knowledge and the lengths i am going to for a couple of rabbits!

Here goes - I have a rabbit hutch in the garden approx. 5 metres from the conservatory. I would like to have an outdoor socket so that i can have a small heater in the hutch when the cold weather sets in.

So the plan was to get a socket put on the exterior of the conservatory wall which during the summer i could plug the old mower in and cut the grass etc. In the winter i could run a weather proof extention cord to the rabbit hutch to power the heater - is this a sensible option or should i be looking at a different solution.

All work would be undertaken by an electrician and not by my goodself.

Any advice / suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would like to have an outdoor socket so that i can have a small heater in the hutch when the cold weather sets in.
Sort of a slow cooker affair?

sorry...

So the plan was to get a socket put on the exterior of the conservatory wall which during the summer i could plug the old mower in and cut the grass etc. In the winter i could run a weather proof extention cord to the rabbit hutch to power the heater - is this a sensible option or should i be looking at a different solution.
Fine for the mower, but that lead will be trailing across the garden for months at a time in the winter - you'd be better off with a permanent supply taken to the hutch.

I take it you can get heaters suitable for the environment, that won't cook them, and that won't be damaged by them chewing it, peeing on it etc?

And as a slightly off-topic bit of advice - if you consider yourself an animal lover you should spend a bit of time googling for information about the fundamental cruelty of keeping rabbits locked up in a cage in the garden.

sorry...

And as a slightly off-topic bit of advice - if you consider yourself an animal lover you should spend a bit of time googling for information about the fundamental cruelty of keeping rabbits locked up in a cage in the garden.

Thanks for the reply - when i eventually manage to find an electrician who is interested in a job that requires a bit of digging (which i'd probably do myself anyways) then i'll take his expert advice.

As for the rabbit comment - you could apply that to all domesticated animals who i am sure would prefer not have been domesticated in the first place and roaming around the wild as nature intended. . .

Cheers

OK - I did say IF you consider yourself an animal lover.

You don't so carry on locking up an animal which naturally lives in large family groups in underground burrows and is designed to spend a lot of time running about at speed.

Sponsored Links
wouldn't it just be easier to bring the rabbits into the conservatory for the winter?
surely a little heater isn't going to do much good when the front of the hutch is essentially open to the elements? ( it being a rabbit hutch I expect that it's mesh? )
water freezing in the bottle / dishes when the temp drops below freezing overnight..?

do rabbits hibernate underground in the winter?

add to that the cost of effectively heating the entire planet for 3-4 months..

you could use under tile heating mat and tile the bottom of the hutch..

Thanks for the reply - when i eventually manage to find an electrician who is interested in a job that requires a bit of digging (which i'd probably do myself anyways) then i'll take his expert advice.

recon you could train the rabbit to dig the cable trench for you? :) ;)

So the plan was to get a socket put on the exterior of the conservatory wall which during the summer i could plug the old mower in and cut the grass etc. .

Why not let the rabbits go free range in the summer - then you don't need to cut the grass. And (per ColJack) in the winter they go in the conservatory.

Voila! No need for an outside socket!

As for the rabbit comment - you could apply that to all domesticated animals who i am sure would prefer not have been domesticated in the first place and roaming around the wild as nature intended. . .

You think any animal with sense would swap three meals a day, a warm bed, veterinary care, and doting owners, for the uncomfortable and unpredictable existence of 'nature'?

Getting your ****** chopped off is a small price to pay for a tin of chumalot every evening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back